Thank You For Returning, Mr. Parsons

“Mr. Parsons?”
My head snapped towards Director Xenos of Lanthanein Technological Industries who stood at the door and I nodded in response. Without further comment, he invited me into his office for my job interview.
I was ready for this. I had studied at the highly-acclaimed Aurelian State University and my credentials were impressive. I even wore my old university badge. My father’s astounding background would surely assist my credibility. From what I’d heard, directors asked about these things, and I felt this interview would involve such queries. I was prepared for anything.

Xenos, a neatly-dressed bald man, sat behind his oak desk and motioned for me to sit in a chair opposite. I produced attractively presented papers outlining full details and credentials. As he sat staring at them, the air suddenly cooled. More annoyingly, I was dealing with a growing headache.
“Mr. Parsons,” Xenos began, “Your achievements are most remarkable. Your choice of university is most pleasing.”
“Indeed,” I answered. “I earned my Master’s degree at –”
[Antony University]
“Anto – Aure – An…” I stopped. I knew well where I'd studied, but something pressed me to say otherwise.
“Antony University,” Xenos completed. “A prestigious Lanthanein-owned institution. One of the best.”
“Uh, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean that – sorry, I mean…”
Xenos passed back my papers. Cold, confused and feeling the headache more, I leafed through the papers. The university’s name – Antony, it cried. Now, the ink on the pages of every document began to morph into different words before my eyes.

Xenos continued. “It’s always good to have Lanthanein alumni applying here. I see that your parents had strong ties with us.”
I tried to deny that, but the words lodged in my throat. Xenos calmly put on a pair of round glasses and gazed frighteningly at me. “It would be an honour to accept the son of Lanthanein’s Best Department Manager of 1984. Paul Parsons was brilliant, Eric. He would be proud of you if you continued with us.”
(No!) I thought. (Father worked at Pioneer Science…)
[Not Pioneer, it was Lanthanein]
(…and Mother didn’t work!)
[Helen Parsons was a Lanthanein secretary in 1987]
I couldn’t fight the intruding thoughts or the splitting headache. The documents kept changing. My attention was fixed on Xenos’ glasses. They seemed to glow eerily as the room began to quiver like jelly.
(Stop!) I thought. (It’s…)
[Your family worked closely with us]
(…not true!)
[Your past is ours]
(Never!)
[Give up, Eric]

The cold air dissipated. My headache was gone. The room returned to normal. Xenos removed his glasses.
“Of course,” I replied. “Father would be proud of me.” I was glad my credentials were filled in correctly. I noticed I even had on my Antony badge for bonus points.
“You’re hired.” We stood and shook hands, before he led me out of his office. I smiled at some people waiting for their interviews and headed for the exit. “Thank you for returning, Mr. Parsons,” Xenos called before calling up another person.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!