Leap Of Regret

It was the brightest shade of green that she had ever seen. The tallest trees imaginable surrounding the reflective ripples of water as the natural brightness of the sun shone onto their shiny leaves.
It seemed like an endless field of joy.
Although she wasn’t much of the adventurous type, she loved the thrill of excitement that rushed into her body every time she did something audacious. People had continuously tried to convince her to do this, claiming that it allowed you to experience a new side to life and really appreciate what it had to offer. But never before had she been brave enough to do something as crazy as this.
She began her tentative journey up the cliff, staring down at her decreasing proximity from the ground of safety.
Refreshing drops of rain began to drizzle down on to her uncovered skin, like ice cream melting down the cone on a hot summer day.
‘Squeak’, ‘Squeak’, ‘Squeak’ went the sound of her newly wet sneakers making contact with the ground.
‘Squeak’, ‘Squeak’, ‘Squeak’ and she finally reached the top.
The gentle breeze of summer air was now replaced with a powerful chill as the rain became heavier. Goosebumps started to form on the surface of her pale skin, giving it the appearance of a raw chicken wing.
Her previously determined mind-set was quickly fading as horrific ideas rapidly entered the centre of her consciousness, like petrol filling the tank.
Was the harness too loose? Was this even safe? She thought, Who am I kidding? I can’t do this, but I must.
Looking down at the vast area of water from the tip of her now soaking sneakers, a man’s voice grew louder and louder as it was reprised “Are you ready?”, Are you ready?”, Are you ready?”. On the fifth call, she replied with a “Yes”, and before she knew it, she was half way down the cliff as the protective metal cage fell out of view and she was left with nothing to look at but the vast area of water getting closer and closer and closer. The accelerating speed of wind gashing through her veins as it freed the frightening thoughts out of her mind. It was a cleansing of the soul like no other.
This was certainly a risk worth taking, she thought as she listened to the zipping sound of the harness that soon turned into a SNAP!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!