A Child Of The Night

Tip, tap, tap tap. The tap dripped with water as the young wanderers walked throughout the old rickety house. The cloaked children did walk with the night’s shadow, cloaking them in the gentle embrace of a beautiful moonlit night. No one did once stir from their sleep within the confines of the house, for if they were to, they might glimpse the merry faces of the ghost children of the night. The children did not bear the faces of a child, but the eyes of a man, the lips of a woman, and the nose of a hawk.
These young creatures so intent on their task, may be though as evil and malicious, but all one need say, is that the rumours of these children are not true. The children of the nighttimes’ embrace are indeed just like you or me, but they carry our souls away at night, and send them to us in the morning. It is not known to all, but this dear writer, an ornate desk, and an old leather bound book; that they do this to protect your souls from your demons of your sleep.
A child of the night in the house walked to a room containing a young child, the child’s chest did rise and fall until it did stop. The child here has passed, though dear reader, do not fear for a child of the night is which what this one will become. She, dear reader, died with her soul, in night’s embrace, so we must welcome her. Do not fear, for she will visit her family every night to carry their souls to protect them. She will do so until her last close relative dies, for which then she may live in the Earth where the last of Her’s passed. This is the nature of things, my dear reader; I think you should understand that... I once knew a child of the night. Not once should you cry for them, for they chose their fates, and they could easily stop what they have become, but they choose it. So we embrace them. This is simple. And listen closely my companion, my friend, and you can hear them laugh and sing, as they carry your soul away. To the far away worlds where you may choose to rest...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!