Test Subject

Something has happened to me.

I mean, I've never been able to throw one of my bullies across the room. I couldn't even defend myself from one of their punches, let alone something as drastic as that.

My strength, prior to this incident? I was a weakling. I couldn't even be called a nerd, since I'm so stupid I can't even earn a C in my report card.

My job isn't that cool. I'm a lab rat, as most people call it. It's no big deal, really, since it's been putting bread on the table ever since my dad left me and my mom. It just means that I have to have a tolerence to needles and any possible side effects.

Most of the side effects that I get are being slightly nauseous, but I still rarely get them.

Maybe this super strength is a side effect? It couldn't be, since they were testing a cure for the common cold on me. Or maybe it's because I've been injected with so many different things, they've all kind of mixed and turned into this weird "power".

I'm testing it now. Balling my hand into a fist, I let it swing at the crumbling wall of an old warehouse. I used to go here to hide from people trying to hurt me, and sometimes just to cry. The wall, which otherwise would have possible broken my hand and wrist, smashed, old bricks and dirt going flying. I almost jump back in fright as I see the size of the hole that I made.

I shake my head in bewilderment, staring down at my hands. I suddenly slam it down on an old table, almost like a karate chop, and it snaps in half. I take a step back, and pick up a metal bar. Any other time, I would have stuggled to lift it, let alone throw it across the room and against the wall. It stabs through the wall, and the warehouse shakes again. Dust falls from the ceiling, and settles in my light-brown hair.

With a lopsided smile on my face, I slam my fist down at the ground. The floor cracks and rises, almost like how it would in an earthquake.

"This is crazy..." I whisper, my voice echoing slightly in the empty room. I massage my knuckles. My hand doesn't even hurt.

Now that I think of it, this is going to be fun. Lots of fun.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!