PANIC ATTACK!

Jon stretched out on the couch, a grin spreading across his face as he fantasized about the relaxing day ahead. Holidays at last! No school, no homework, just time to rest and enjoy himself. “Jon!” the voice of his Mother interrupted his pleasant daydream, “Dad and I are going down to the shops, but we’ll be back in a few minutes, okay?” Jon mumbled a reply and rolled over to watch some T.V.
An hour later, after watching 2 episodes of his favourite show, Jon began to wonder about his parents. He lazily hauled himself off the couch, and over to the front door. When he opened it, fear filled his body. One of his Mother’s pot plants had been smashed across the veranda! What if they’d been kidnapped? Or murdered! Jon’s heartbeat raced and his mind flooded with scenarios involving a hardened criminal sneaking up and smashing a pot plant over his parent’s unsuspecting heads. He decided that he must take action!
Jon bolted as fast as he could down the corridor and up the stairs to his bedroom. There, he grabbed his big magnifying glass from its shelf, and raced back to the veranda. He had once seen a documentary about detectives searching the scene of the crime for evidence, and now he was going to do the same. Jon picked up a large chunk of pot debris and used the magnifying glass to inspect it for blood. There was none. He picked up another piece and checked that one. Nothing. 10 minutes later, after carefully inspecting every single piece of pot plant, he began to lose hope of ever catching the evil criminal that had his parents.
Then, Jon heard a noise. It came from the kitchen, like cutlery clinking together. It must be the intruder! He thought. Slowly and carefully, Jon tip-toed down the corridor and up the stairs to his bedroom. He took his cricket bat down from the wall and silently made his way back downstairs to the kitchen. The noise grew louder as he neared. His heart was pounding so loudly that he was worried the intruder would hear it. Jon stood beside the door, just yards away from the despicable monster. He counted in his head, one… two… THREE!!!! Jon leaped from cover, shouting loudly, bat ready for action. The intruder gave a strangely familiar high-pitched scream.
Jon looked up, to find his Mother washing the dishes. “Jon! What are you doing? You scared me!” He ran up and gave his Mum a big hug. “You’re okay!” he cried, relief flowing through him.
“Of course I’m okay, silly! Why?”
“B-but the pot plant, and you were gone for an hour, and, and…” Jon stammered.
“The plant fell down this morning, and I didn’t have time to clean it up, and Dad and I have been downstairs doing gardening!” Jon gave a big sigh of relief. “Well, all’s well that ends well” said his Mother.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!