Safe Haven

I took a window seat at the diner as the waitress poured me a cup of coffee. I glanced out the window to the lilies which sprouted amid the wild grass in what was once a flower bed. I raised the mug to my lips, savoring that rich aroma as I took a sip. A peaceful settlement itched to take over my body, I pushed it away. I liked it here. The silence and stillness that stuck to a small country town was within contrast to the bright city lights that had me in its clutches only just yesterday, but I knew this wasn’t permanent. Nothing could ever be, not anymore.
I tilted my head slightly as the bell above the door chimed as it opened. My cropped copper coloured hair fell from behind my ear and shaded my eyes as I peeked through strands to see who entered. My body tensed as a familiar form stepped past the entry way to the counter, eyes roaming the diner in search for something. I slowly lowered my cup to the bar and silently stood, making my way to the ladies room, inconspicuously. I slammed my back against the stained tiles and the coolness calmed my clammy skin. I breathed in deeply, and exhaled heavily as adrenaline pumped through my blood. The temptation of the bright lights and city stigma was trouble and the trouble I caused was back to get me. Wishing I could go anywhere with a promise of not being found, I was desperate for a safe haven.
I eased my body out of the ladies room and my eyes immediately sought him out. He stood next to the waitress, gesturing wildly at where I sat not even 2 minutes ago. My body tensed as I glided through the diner and out the door. The bells chimed, stealing the entire diner’s attention. The waitress smiled and gestured me over. I snapped my head back around and dashed outside into the muggy air, instantly my skin became clammy. My feet slapped the gravel and dust flew behind me, making it hard to breathe. I could hear his feet in pursuit. I directed myself towards the wild grass, hoping to lose myself. I pushed through the tall grass and felt him tight on my heels, nipping for a grab. Pumping my arms harder, I push away, creating a large enough gap to make my escape. My car sits in idle, waiting. Nothing is permanent, remember that. The wheels tear up the ground as I slam my foot of the accelerator, not even bothering to close the door and buckle myself in. When you’re on the run for your life, your priorities shift.
I look in my review mirror and his figure dwindles to nothing, dust covering the remainder of the one that haunts my nightmares and every lasting thought. Mamma always told me two things to never forget. One, never steal, and two, never get caught. I should’ve listened to Mamma.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!