Fate

Have you ever said the words “Fate’s Unfair”? I’m guessing you haven’t because you’re more familiar with “Life’s unfair”. In my case, fate and unfair were the common words to come out of my mouth ever since that fateful day. I say it for a reason; A reason that very much involves love.
This isn’t your ordinary love and unrequited love story.
Back to the time when we were still twelve, Maverick, Avery, and I were the best of friends. It was always us three against the world. It also helped that our parents were very close too. You should’ve guessed by now that I like Avery as more than a friend. And by now, you should have at least guessed that there’s a love triangle between us three. I met Avery way before Maverick when we were younger through a 64-pack Crayola and as a young boy, I already believed in love at first sight. But then he came into the picture. Don’t get me wrong, he’s my best friend but there’s always been this unspoken competition between us, from birthday gifts to Christmas presents and to Valentines. Maverick being the one with the rich dad was always prepared with extravagant gifts while I had to settle with special homemade presents. Avery isn't the material girl type, if that’s what you think. She even said so herself that my presence was more than enough because I was her number one guy. Number one, that has to mean something
Unfortunately, it all changed because of the trip our families all took. All we knew about the place we’re headed is that it’s called “Temple of Fate” and that it was special to each of our parents.
Apparently, it was a temple with two sides in the room. One side was for boys, the other for girls. Each side contained a wooden box of symbol pieces. It was believed that when a boy and girl or a couple gets the same symbol, they’re meant to be together. Surprisingly, all of our parents did this too when they were still kids and they ended up having the same symbols. “Fate destines us together” they say. So now, they've decided that it was time for us to do the same.
Fate was against my favor. I didn’t get the same symbol as Avery but you wouldn’t need to guess who did.
Now that we’re eighteen, I finally had gathered the courage to tell her how I felt all this years. Avery was stubborn and adamant it was fate because our parents did the same thing and they’re still happy and together. She said it would be "cheating fate" if we got together. Fate did not destine me for her.
And so I let go.
A week after, Maverick came up to me with an expression I couldn’t fathom.
“I know you love her” Maverick said
“It wouldn’t be right, it would be cheating on fate” I murmured
“If anyone’s cheating fate, it wouldn’t be you”
He answered my unspoken question by opening a small box, a box of symbol pieces…
“A sculptor that visited the temple got interested in the symbols and made a replica of them. He sold it online and I used it that day. I was the one who cheated” Maverick explained.
I stare at him, mouth open, and dumbfounded.
In the end, let’s just say you don’t mess with love or fate. What’s meant to be is what’s meant to be, period.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!