Memories

Memories a poem by Ella Greenaway, age 10 – grade 5.

I walk through the front door and onto the timeworn, creaky floors of my old house.
The dusty fans look tired - like they want to fall straight out of the ceiling.
The un-used chandeliers, the not so white fridge and the cracked, white porcelain toilet,
The once-grand piano with slightly browned, chipped keys,
The old wooden kitchen cabinets still filled with their old plastic plates and cups.
Walking downstairs, I notice the old television and bicycles, I see them rusted and damaged.
I gaze at the beautiful old beige, corduroy couch,
The ancient bath is infested with cockroaches.
I step outside, onto the old straw-like grass with the old football lying in the middle of the yard, deflated.
It’s the smell that brings memories, the musty, mildewed smell.
That’s when all my old child hood memories come flooding back.
I slowly make my way outside to leave and take one last look at the old house with peeling paint and cracked windows
Then I run back inside and stay there.
Though it isn’t perfect, it is home - oh sweet home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!