Washed Away

The damp earth beneath Apache's hooves gave way as we galloped to the nearby spring. Letty, my snub nosed monkey, grazed across my shoulder soaking in the droplets of sunshine as they fell though the air. For a brief second I caught my reflection in a nearby puddle grimacing at the sight of me- my long, dark brown hair scrunched up in a ponytail at the back of my head and falling upon my shoulder, my blue eyes standing out against my pale skin- the sight vanished as Apache splashed the puddle spraying the cool pear shaped droplets against my legs.
" Tally! Tally! Where are you? If you are reading that silly book of yours again I swear I will rip it to pieces!"
I was ripped from my thoughts and back to reality as Sophie called me. Her voice tearing through the clear, crisp morning air and travelling straight to my ear. Quickly, I slipped my book into the saddle pocket- hidden from her gaze. Sophie is my little sister, she looks nothing like me, with her golden hair and blue forget-me-knot eyes.
Together we made our way back and I took Apache back to the stable just as it started to rain.
We heard thunder and started to run. Little droplets of rain started pelting down. My heart was pounding like a drum in a festival. I snuck a glance at the lake. Enormous waves had formed out of no where. I saw them growing bigger and gaining momentum. I scanned my surroundings and spotted an old bus/car repair shed. Sophie had disappeared from my sight. Distressed I shouted her name then forced myself forward. Rushing towards it I gratefully positioned myself in a corner where I couldn't get wet, at least that's what I thought. All of a sudden the heavens opened up in a full-scale downpour. Drenched from head to toe I concentrated on the droplets seeping into my shoe. Suddenly I noticed the rapidly increasing water level. I scrambled to my feet and dashed in the direction of home.
Thunder crashes all around me. Lightning flashed, lighting up the sky. Rain fell like stones, each drop stinging where it landed on my skin. But I kept running. I would never stop running. I would run until I died. Then my foot caught on a rock and I tumbled onto the muddy path. Pain shot through me like an electric current. Something warm blurred my vision. Blood. I felt around my head until I found it, a large gash above my eyebrows. When I looked at my hand it was soaked in blood. I couldn't hear, couldn't think. The world started twisting and turning. Then faded away into nothingness.
I woke in the ravine I fainted in. A pool of water about 3 inches deep surrounded me. Thunder still boomed and lightning still struck. I threw back my head, closed my eyes and screamed. I screamed until my throat felt dry and cracked. Then I stood up and started walking. The sky was darkening but still light enough to see. I never sped up my pace. I kept walking until I found the house. My house. My head was pounding, but the bleeding had stopped. Things were starting to spin again. I opened he door and fell onto the bed. There I slept.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!