Know Yourself

Darkness. The trees drip in the heavy atmosphere. They block out all view. The forest is horribly humid. Though it is raining, only fifty drops out of one hundred drops get in through the thick canopy. The forest is hiding something. There is tension in the air. A shape darts across the jungle explorer’s vision. He spins round. No-one is there.
He moved off, looking for the human shape that had flashed before him. So preoccupied was he that he didn’t notice two bright, yet dark eyes watching him.
***
Jack was wary as he walked back to his tent. He wished he’d never signed up for this. He heard a noise, and swung round. ‘Ahh!’ He shouted, almost in pain. There it was again! The flash. The distinctly human shape. And the same flash of menace that came from something like a face. Jack flashed a photo with shaking hands. This was what he’d been sent to study. This phenomenon, which had been dubbed ‘The Black’ because of its black, merciless heart.
Everyone knew it wasn’t human. The theory was that it was a half-way evolved monkey, as it loped. But it had not been studied to an extent as every explorer had disappeared, leaving only their note-books to be found.
***
Jack looked at his photo, holding his breath. What would it show? He shut his eyes, and as the camera clicked he opened them.
He gasped. ‘What...no!!’ ....he fainted, crashing to the ground.
***
The Black’s face swirled before Jack. It grinned, absurdly, as he stared. Jack had never cared. About anything. Except himself. He’d pay now. He tried to shut his eyes against the face of The Black but he couldn’t. The eyes....he recognised them..!He shouted loud... He gave in....
THE BLACK WAS HIM. HIMSELF.
***
Jack opened his eyes. And cried out again. The Black WAS standing over him. And then it grinned. Showing those white teeth, lips pulled back to smile...or grimace..Jack realised.
***
Each explorer had come here, and faced their selves. Their whole self. These monsters were their souls, the blackness held within. And a fully good person would see nothing. Jack had made no attempt to change his ways, since he didn’t know he had them. He didn’t know himself....
***
Jack stood up. His mind in a whirl, he looked around for The Black. It was nowhere to be found. Jack was calm. Now he knew of his errors, and now...he knew himself.
END

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!