That's Where Evil Lurks...

That’s Where Evil Lurks... Ruby McCann

Crackling flames licked the damp wood bathing them in a toasty light. The sleet and snow came in horizontally concealing the path on which they walked. Elijah sat on the stone floor his knife in one hand and his spear in the other. Riley positioned herself in the armchair by the fire her fingers rinsing the stained clothing. Rising to his feet Elijah announced he was going hunting.

“You’ll kill yourself out there!” His weary mother Lillian protested.

“I’ll be fine, don’t you worry. I’ve done it many times before!”

Elijah grinned; kissed Riley on the head and strode out the door. Placing his wolf fur coat around his shoulders Elijah headed out to the kennels. Apollo, Blizzard, Glacier, Hunter, Ledged and Jasper wagged their tails when they saw their loving owner. After attaching them to the sled they sped off into the snow.

They raced up to the north point the village until they were stopped in their tracks. It was Vincent; he took in old huskies and cared for them. He was nice enough but Elijah didn’t have the time or interest for a chat.

“Where are you going today, Elijah?”

“Hunting, up near the mountain like usual,” he responded.

“I’ve heard that there’s been some evil lurking up near the mountain. I wouldn’t want to get too close. The old bat Naira hasn’t been seen for days.”

Shaking his head Vincent turned and began hobbling back the way he had come.

Pondering over what Vincent meant by evil Elijah continued on his way.

Towering peaks rose up into the sky creating a shadow over them. The sled sprinted along flicking up shards of ice. The panting dogs, serenity of the mountains and bitter wind that swept off the summits was tranquil and comforting.

Elijah’s matted chocolate brown hair fell just above his shoulders. His two cat green eyes carefully scanned the blank landscape. His tough and calloused hands gripped the bar on the front of the sled, the six dogs charged in unison as their padded paws left footprints in the snow.

The dogs slowed down nearly throwing Elijah off his sled. They all began to bark furiously as if they could sense something wasn’t right.

With hesitation he got down from his sled and went to investigate. His heart pounded in his ears like sleet on the roof and his palms became sweaty. A lone wolf howled to the sky. He jumped now aware that the object in front of him was human.

A few metres ahead a bony finger poked out of the fresh fallen snow. Elijah dug up the body and laid it on the freezing ground. His hands shook like crazy as he knelt down to inspect the face closely.

He soon realised this woman was oddly familiar. Elijah gasped for breath, tears welled in his eyes. He lent down and placed his head on her chilled chest.

“Naira, whatever happened, my dear old aunt?”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!