Washed Away

short story – By Bridie Hill 8HN

Still on that day, that night it felt… as if the ocean didn’t stop where it was meant to. The sound
of crashing waves against the rocks was still booming in my ear. The waves haven’t settled yet. So neither have I. My sleeping pattern is in sync with the waves. I settle when they do.

I’m lying in bed staring at the wall, trying to pass time. I can now hear the waves against the outside walls of our beach house, which is strange because it’s never happened before ever. I hear the waves make their way over and behind the beach house.

I suddenly feel us getting swept out into sea. I wake up mum and dad and tell them everything. They claim I dreamt it, until I force them to look out the window. We’re not that far out but we are still openly in the sea. I stare out to the distance to see a pool of water that never ends. The never-ending ocean.

My parents call everyone that they can and are being reassured that we will be found, and that we will be able to put in a good insurance claim on the beach house. When they say that we will be found I look out to see that the beach isn’t visible anymore. We are stranded in the middle of the ocean and I’m not sure what the outcome of this will be. We are lucky that this beach house is somehow floating.

I force myself into my bed and seal my eyes shut. I dream about the beach house sinking and me drowning to my death. Luckily I woke up.
Mum tells me that a helicopter is coming and that we would be pretty easy to find and that we will just have to wait for now.

I stared at the wall trying to pass time just like the night we were swept away. I started thinking about that moment, but my thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a loud helicopter.
We were evacuated out of the house and into the helicopter and flown back to shore. Our beach house was recovered and some things needed replacement but all of that was paid off in good time.
The beach house still looks the same and still sits in the same place as always. Others don’t know the story behind it.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!