Missing Memory

Excellence Award in the 'Write As Rain 2014' competition

The cool winter wind blew against the wild flowers below my feet causing me to shiver, goose bumps appearing around my pale, hollow cheeks. I pulled my cardigan tighter around my body, dominantly crushing the flowers below my weight.

I was meeting up with Cady today, I made my way to the familiar green field, holding a bouquet of flowers wrapped in pink and gold cellophane.

I noticed Cady standing where we always met, looking as beautiful as ever. I smiled in her direction, making my way over to her and handing her the flowers.

I sat next to her, crossing my legs in the thick, green grass.

"Hello lovely," I coughed, my fragile 80 year old body had changed over the years.
"How are things for you?" I grinned, swiftly showing the deep dimple indents in my cheeks.
"Remember the time we had dinner with your parents?" I chuckled.
"And I was so worked up, that I had sweat dripping down my forehead."
"And, what about that time we were singing karaoke, and you slipped off the stage?" We laughed together.

The large tree leaves blowing with the wind. Bright green leaves drifted peacefully to the ground.

"Remember when we snuck out to see that movie and you had asked your parents about it the night before?" Cady blushed a deep red at the thought, as we giggled like children together.

We sat together all afternoon, reminiscing the past.
I brushed my fingers the thick grey hair on my head.
Clouds covered the blue sky, beauty hiding behind it, much like Cady beautiful on the inside, and the outside.

"Thank you for seeing me today, Cady," I smiled, my cheeks becoming rosy.
"I'll see you tomorrow, love." I patted the cold grave stone, as it began to ran.
"I love you," I said, returning to the long path home, thankful that someone like her was in my life, because I knew for sure we'd meet again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!