I Never Thought

I wake with a start. A loud speaker is screeching outside my room, "Nurses to ward 10 immediately" I sit up and look out the small dirty window next to my bed. The Garden outside looks dry and brown.
The door opens and Mum walks in followed by a nurse and an important looking doctor in a long white coat. “Good morning sweetheart" Says Mum "how are you feeling" "thirsty" I reply,the nurse rushes off to the sink on the other side of the ward and fills a plastic cup. She trots back over to my bedside and hands me the cup. The cool liquid feels like ice on my dry throat but I drink the whole lot regardless.
Mum takes a seat in the Chair beside my bed and says "darling we have something to talk about". I gulp, here it comes she is about to tell me I am stuck in this bed for another week because I am not well enough to go home. The doctor sits down on a stool at the foot of my bed and says “we are worried about the fact you still can't feel your legs". Mum starts to cry. “I don’t understand, I thought you said everything was looking normal again “I say feeling annoyed that the doctor had lied to me.” When you fell off your horse, we think you may have severed you spinal cord “He says explains.
I am shocked I have heard of people falling off their horse, and slicing their spinal cord but they become para or even quadriplegics but that can't happen to me I am only 13 I can't live like they do.
“Stop! Says mum"" can I have a quick word with you outside" “Sure” replies the doctor. They both leave the room and stand outside in the corridor. In a period of about five minutes mum had cried and shouted whilst the doctor stood with his arms crossed tight around his chest and blue pen tucked behind his ear.
When they finally re-enter the room Mum looks really upset and in a state of shock. " Your mother and I have decided to tell you straight up and honestly, We have to run a few more tests but we are pretty sure that you fall has caused you to be a paraplegic. The world seemed to stop as the news sank in. I must have become unconscious of something because I can't remember the few minutes after I was told.
“Jessica, can you hear me" I shake my head “yes " I reply "do you know what that means?" “no riding" " No riding or walking we are very sorry, we will make you as comfortable as we can and hopefully after a few weeks you will be able to go home." “Mum" I mutter "where is dad" Mum shuffles in her chair he will be here in a ..." She stops just at that very moment dad walks in wheeling a purple wheel chair. "I found this one in the corridor hope it is ok" The doctor stands and goes to shake dads hand." thankyou" says dad " can we have a minute. Dad walks over and grabs my hands "I love you as does your mother and we are both here for you if to want to talk about things, is there anything you want to ask. I think for a moment then say "Dad, I want to go home."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!