Nicole's Fight For Life

It was Christmas time in New York where the snow fell like rain on a wintery day. Nicole Quinn was getting ready for a dinner, her friend Rachel Oshditz had organised for her and Nathan Merchant. She slipped on her black dress and put in some diamond earrings with a diamond necklace to match. Just as she walked into the kitchen a loud honk sounded from outside. “Hurry up Nicky, we’re going to be late!” yelled Rachel from the yellow BMW. Nicole quickly brushed her blonde hair then flung open the door and jumped into the car. “Let’s get there quick. I’m starving back here,” said Nathan with a grin. It was about 12:00pm when Nicole was dropped back off to her apartment. Nicole had a shower, changed into her PJ’s then jumped into bed. As soon as her head hit the pillow, she was fast asleep. Sunlight streaked through Nicole’s thin pink curtains, lighting up the room in an instant. She got up and got dressed into a blue shirt and jeans. Suddenly Nicole heard knocking on her front door. She ran downstairs and opened up the door. “Surprise! Sorry we’re early but Nathan just gradu…” said Rachel. “What,” asked Nicole, looking at Rachel’s shocked face. “Your.. your hair it’s it’s…” stammered Rachel. “Half of your hair has fallen out,” finished Nathan. “What!” exclaimed Nicole. “Go have a look in the mirror yourself,” replied Rachel. So all three went into Nicole’s bathroom. Sure enough her hair had become extremely thin. Nathan ran to the phone and rang up Dr Hillbilly. Within three minutes they arrived at New York Hospital to see Dr Hillbilly. His hair had gone completely grey during his aging and his deep brown eyes showed wisdom and honesty. “Hello, I’m Dr Hillbilly,” said the doctor. “Let’s get Nicole in the chair so we can check her blood pressure.” Dr Hillbilly put a blood pressure checker around her arm then he took some blood tests. Nicole was extremely stressed. After about an hour, Dr Hillbilly had come back with the results. “Nicole, I’m so sorry, but you’ve got leukaemia,” said Dr Hillbilly. Nicole’s head spun, trying not to believe what the doctor said, but knowing it was true. Dr Hillbilly told Nicole she’ll have to stay at the hospital for further tests and treatment. Later that day Nicole’s parents and her friends had come to visit, each bearing a gift. Nicole smiled a very small smile to each of her visitors. It was hard to believe that she was only 24 and diagnosed with leukaemia. Dr Hillbilly came everyday with new medicines and results. Feeling nauseous and dizzy, Nicole drifted off into a restless sleep. The next morning, Nicole woke to smiles and cheers from her family and friends. Dr Hillbilly was also smiling. “Nicole, I have some fantastic news. The doctors have found a cure to leukaemia,’” said Dr Hillbilly. Cheers rang out in the room as a celebration began.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!