Sasinta Zena

The stench of rat droppings dominated the air and I could no longer see through the pervading darkness. The straw covered floor provided no comfort. Instead, it dug into my feet, echoing the stabs of pains I felt in my heart. As Queen Iris’ guard paced back and forth, an escape plan came to mind. However, there was one flaw. I needed a distraction. Suddenly, the sound of heavy metals clanking against the concrete floor echoed outside the dungeon and the cell guard left to assess the situation. Stunned by the sudden brightness, I squinted as Harion rushed into the dungeon, disarmed the guard and rendered him unconscious on the floor.
‘Sorry I’m late’, he muttered as my cell door was unlocked. Swallowing a sarcastic reply, I smiled as we walked out of the darkness.
‘How did you manage all this?’ I gestured to the prone forms of the four guards sprawled across the floor. Smirking, he held up a vial containing some red substance.
‘Red lotus’ he whispered.
At that, memories flashed before me of an afternoon, which we had spent together in his mother’s garden, a place filled with red lotus flowers. As if understanding my thoughts, Harion clasped my hands and uttered softly ‘Sasinta.’
The sight of his fierce blue eyes reassured me.
‘We should leave before the guards change over.’
Nodding, Harion and I raced towards the stable house.
I stood guard as he ventured inside the stable to fetch the horses. Looking around the garden complex, I longed to stay for a while longer. Despite all that had happened, this place had come to resemble home. I committed to memory the scent of the lilac flowers, the beauty of the blooming mulberry bushes and the bright-green of the overflowing emerald grass across the footpaths. Hopefully one day, I could return and call this place home once more.
Feeling the muzzle of a horse behind me, I turned and cried out, “Kitri”. Patting her brown spotted nose, I climbed onto her back and followed Harion as we headed out the south gate and were soon enveloped by the cloak of leaves of the tall forest trees.
As night descended, dread once again gripped me. It felt as if the trees were disturbed and agitated, foreshadowing the inevitable. Suddenly, an arrow whirled past my left ear as eight of the Queen’s guards descended upon us, like death’s soldiers themselves. Pulling the sword from his belt, Harion lunged at the nearest guard. Armed with a bow and arrow, I continued to ride Kitri whilst trying to plunge my arrows into the surrounding guards. As Harion fought his last opponent, I watched him with fascination. He was fluid in movement, deadly and beautiful… Once the enemy had been dispatched, no sooner had Harion closed the distance between us that an arrow launched out from behind and pierced his heart. As the shadow of the marksman disappeared, my scream could be heard echoing through the forest…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!