Vicious Vegetables

I groaned “Vegetables again?” I pushed my plate away.
“Eat your Vegetables Shamus!” My mother announced “We work hard to put food on the table.”
“Yes,” said a drowsy Dad.
I groaned again. I needed an excuse. There was no way I was eating these small nasty plants.
“Mum?” I asked “haven’t you heard about the Veggie Shop? Haven’t you heard that the sales man is a zombie, that the vegetables are mouldy and that they catch poor defenceless kids and turn them into potatoes.” I continued. “Haven’t you heard that the store is home to thousands of man eating bugs, that if you step through the door you are cursed and that if you don’t give the shop keeper your brain, he will haunt you? I'm not eating food that comes from there!”

I opened my eyes and watched the sun seep through my blinds. I got up; swaying as I walked. I dressed and waddled to the lounge. “Shamus, could you get me some carrots from the store?” Mum asked. She stood at the kitchen bench.
“ok.” I sighed, collected some change and started on my way.

Soon I stood before the shop. I took a long, deep breath and walked inside, shaking gently. It was dark and dingy. Before me stood the salesman. Deep scarlet eyes, shiny bald head and yellow rotten teeth. The eyes, head and teeth of a zombie! I turned on my heels and continued my search for the carrots. Past the broccoli, dodging the capsicum, avoiding the talking potatoes. Wait!.....Talking potatoes!
I continued to walk, when, a man appeared. I pointed at a bunch of carrots and he extended out an old wrinkled hand.
“Pay,” he said in his cold dark voice “Pay!”
I showed him my money. He scowled and pointed at my head with an old skinny finger.
“Pay b...ra...in!” He shook in alluded frustration.

I spun and began to run immediately. I had had enough of this super natural shop! I had almost made it out the door when a huge spider jumped from the door frame. I shrieked loud and shrill, flinging my bag at it just in time to knock it to the ground with a thud. I ran down the street as fast as my feet could carry me.

Mum and I sat at the table. I looked down the plate of veggies. I couldn't help but eat them. I was obviously horribly cursed.
“So I guess the haunted Veggie Shop isn't that bad after all.”
I didn't reply.
“You’re just lucky we had enough carrots for dinner.”
“Oh...yes,” I replied, distracted by a floppy piece of cauliflower.
I finished off my veggies and looked hopefully at mum.
“Any dessert?” I asked bluntly.
“Sorry,” she said “I don’t have any sweets. You can have a piece of fruit.”
I groaned and thought to myself. I needed an excuse. There was no way I was eating fruit. I know!
“Mum haven’t you heard about the Fruit Shop?”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!