Nellie's Escape

Nellie’s Escape

by Eliza Brown

Nellie’s heart was pounding, the thick thorns prickling at her throat. The rocks stuck out with spikes growing from them. She could hear footsteps. She started running, tripping over rocks and thorns as she scuttled through. Panic was streaming through her body. Poison was dripping through the cave.

She remembered the word of warning from the witches, goblins, gnomes, wizards, fairies, elves, mermaids and griffins. Monsters!

Her heart was thumping as she pushed herself further. Thunder was booming, rotating against the rocks. The footsteps were getting closer. She tried to hide between the slippery stones. She could already feel long, sharp claws crawling up her body, with eight eyes watching and oosy, drippy limbs. Her fingers were losing grip. “Soon I’ll be in his mouth,” she thought, trying to grab on.

Suddenly she felt herself falling down, down, down. “Help!” she screamed. Her voice was hopeless, only a tiny squeak was heard. She felt claws digging into her skin. She wished she was at home. Only the Pearl of Hearts could grant her wish.

She could feel something below her. A rough sea of monsters with sharp teeth waited below. Her mouth was dry. “What do I do?” she wondered.

She could hear the loud grumble and roaring of the monsters. Their feet were stomping in excitement along the sea bed.

She landed, sinking into the water. Her arms and legs were kicking fast, splashing water over herself. Just as she was almost out of breath she saw a bed floating in the sea with soft pink sheets and a fluffy violet pillow. Suddenly her house with wings larger than elephant ears, flew on top of the bed. Nellie rubbed her eyes with disbelief. “Am I dreaming?” she questioned.

She knew she wasn’t dreaming, but that this was just an unbelievably great adventure. She swam closer to the house and to safety.

“Wow, the Pearl of Hearts must have heard my wish,” she thought to herself. She was grateful, very grateful. But part of her wondered what would have happened if she had to figure it out on her own.

“I guess I’ll just have to wait for my next adventure to find out!” Nellie said to no one but herself.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!