I Am Lora Green

I'm walking down the boring... grey path. I look to the right and spot the pale, lifeless bodies, float along the surface of the water in the murky creek. So many faces, so many lives... lost.
I turn away, just as I see a familiar face. What did we do to deserve this? As I watch my feet, I could here the thump, thump as my bag hits my back. I could feel the light rainfall as it patted against my cheeks. I could hear the roar of motors passing by and the whisper of the wind as it brushed against my face. The day was grey and miserable, just like my heart.
My navy blue skirt was ruffled and my checked skirt ironed. My tie wasn't sitting straight and the shoes I wore were scuffed. My long, brown hair was done up in a high ponytail and my skin looked pale against the morning rays. I had lips as red as a rose and a voice of silk... that's me!
The tall and green shrubbery looked awfully gloomy today, as if it had damage from a previous storm. On my left the train tracks were rusted and chocked by weeds, like they already lost all hope in one day running again.
"One day..." I told myself,"one day, everything will be back to the way it once was, then we will be able to move on. But I'm scared, that that day, will never come."

I sigh and decide to speed up my pace. I wouldn't want to be late now, would I?
Across the tracks I could see the highway.
"This place isn't the same anymore, nothing will be again. They say 'Spoils of War'... but there are to many spoils. Too many!" I complained.
All it took was a thought and I could be free! But my family is more important, so I will stay behind. It was worth a thought though.
Past the same fence that keeps us locked away from the rest of the world, and past the same gate to a house of ruble. A house that was once my own. To show their power, The Council, a common enemy, destroyed it! 'The Council' were an Aleut organisation of tourist who had the ability to take whatever they want thanks to their network of friends.
In the distance I could see a large, towering building with bars on the windows and chains to the seats. More accurately, chains to teenagers' legs. The welcoming, electrified, tall, barb wired topped fence was in my clear view now; they only installed this 3 days ago. A young, aboriginal girl tried to make a run for it last week. It didn't end very well.
Suddenly a hand comes up behind me and is placed on my shoulder! I spin around, giving my pursuer an elbow to the head only to realize it was Dan Mcleod! He fell to the ground in agony. He was the guy who I secretly had a crush on.
Dan had soft, green, dreamy eyes, sandy coloured hair, a strong build and an average height for a 16 year old. Dan was very easy going, a lover of sport, sweet and the cutest guy I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.
"OMG! Are you okay?" I squeaked.
With a groan from him I put my hand out to hoist him on his feet.
"Wow Lora! I can all that Karate training is coming along nicely!" he laughed.
"Thanks!" I replied.
"Come on, Australia isn't going to save itself from siege of the council by us being late for school, is it?" spoke Dan.
We turned to face our awaiting prison...
To be continued...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!