Laura Bynes

My name is Laura Bynes. I am twelve years old. Well, almost. It is the middle of the night. The night before my birthday. I am listening to the sound of the clock chimes in the distance, every hour striking a different sound into the darkness of the night. I can’t wait.
When suddenly a bright light appeared on my face, bright and white. My bedroom light. No, not my bedroom light. A different light. I turned to face the door, and came face to face with a young, pale lady.
First thing I thought was Cleopatra. How did I know this? She was wearing a white Greek-like chitin that matched her white and gold earrings. She wore gold sandals and had short black hair with golden ringlet and ties. She was beautiful.
First thing, I wanted to scream. An intruder was not usually welcome in your house. But something about her warm glow and kind face created a lump in my throat. Later I wished I had screamed instead. But I can’t go back. She grabbed my hand and we were off, twirling and tumbling through the air. When we landed, we were in a desert land. I saw the Sphinx, and knew we were in Egypt. It was early morning.
“Cleopatra?” I asked, despite my fear.
“Everyone mistakes me for her,” said the woman.
“I am Hatshepsut. I, here, created the Sphinx. You have to be here”.
I stared at her. My middle name was Hatshepsut.
“My… My middle name is Hatshepsut”
“That is normal. All kids related to an Egyptian God have the same middle name as my first name. Also, they have to come here by the age of twelve”. I remembered it was my birthday. I also remembered this.
“By the way, what about my parents? Do they know I am suddenly in Egypt?”
“Your parents know. Should we go in?”
We walked towards the great towering statue of the Sphinx. We went to the right paw of the statue.
“Only God-related children can open the entrance to The Underground.” Which reminded me. “Which God child am I, and are you a God?”
“No, I am not a God. I am a Pharaoh. Also, you will be claimed by a God soon enough.” I hoped so.
She told me to place my hand on the statue’s paw. A doorway appeared and we walked in. But, as soon as I stepped foot in there, a glow appeared above my head. A symbol. An eye.
I heard Hatshepsut take a small gasp.
“You have been claimed by the God Horus. He is the God of Pharaohs.” I didn’t know if that meant I was Pharaoh or not.
“Does this mean I am… Pharaoh?” I asked in barely more than a whisper.
“You might be, yes,” she said.
“According to laws, the child of Horus is the heir to the throne.”
She bowed. “Your Majesty”.
Suddenly, I had the world under my power. I was Pharaoh.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!