Never Forgotten

He took my hand, as we stood looming over the small river. A soft breeze blows my untied hair, and softly caresses my cheek. The moonlight shining upon the river was giving it a florescent glow. It’s like time had slowed down, and all that mattered was here right now, this moment.
After all these years, after everything we had gone through, we have a moment to enjoy. Sometimes it feels so unreal, like it was all a distant dream. But I never woke up. He is still here, we are still together, and we are enjoying this moment. No one thought he’d come back, no one had faith, but I did. I knew that he would make it, that the war couldn't tear our love apart.
We were apart for years. He was 17 when he went to war, only a child. We were young lovers; people said we were going to be prom king and queen. That’s till he got taken away from me. They needed more troops, and I was so worried, I never wanted him to go. I knew war was a terrible thing, all those deaths, all those families that were ripped apart. No one deserved this; it is not fair that these children be without their fathers. But it was to fight for our country, and they did.
And now I’m grateful, and proud. He went through all that, watching people die, having to kill also. He was so young; and yet he fought on knowing that he was saving all he loved most; his country, his troops, and me. He saved me because when he came back, when I thought he was never coming back, he still loved me. He had never lost an ounce of love for me, and I cherish that.
After I saw him, for the first time in three years, I learnt something. I learnt that no matter what, you should always hope. Without hope I would have fallen apart.
I feel as he takes my other hand, and I look up at him. The moonlight shone upon his head, defining his strong jaw line and the prominent stubble that run across it. His eyes showed ambition, but also nervousness, so I gave him a small smile to try and ease his nervousness. A smile lightens his face, and he sighs in contentment.
“Princess” He whispers and I focus on his emerald eyes, not breaking eye contact for a second. “I know I've been gone for a very long time, and I have waited so long to ask you this”. I nod my head, starting to feel nervous myself. “I want to give you everything, I want to make up for all that time we never had”.
“Just you being here makes up for it”. A small blush escapes onto my cheeks, and he grins.
“I know, but I’m willing to give you more”. He gets down on one knee, and I gasp. “Will you marry me?”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!