Balclutha (n.z)

The smooth long gravel drive way leads up to the old stone house. Sniffing all the essences of blooming roses each a different colour of the rainbow all planted between symmetrical box hedge curving its way in and out of the flowers, I walk along the pebbled path everyday I can.
The new and flash horse stables are embedded in yards of green freshly mowed grass, the drops of dew on top of it pulling it closer to the ground. I will feed the horses soon. What a discovery! Scratching new born deer fawns are still keeping close to their brown and placid mothers.
Peering through the big trees and watching golden and magical daffodils dancing in the sunlight, I pick some of the flowers and place them on the newly set table to give each visitor a cheerful smile.
But today watching unpleasant and uninvited rain streaking down the windows like lightning bolts, I felt the saddest I’d ever been. Sobbing but wiping away my tears I tried to hold all my emotions inside me and not let them flow out.
Striding through the bulky oak doors came my grandma with the groceries holding out to me a brown paper parcel held together with green and orange string. I took it out of her hands and carefully pulled the parcel apart. There in front of me was a red raincoat the colour of my favourite rose.
Frantically pulling it over thick layers of my other clothes that are keeping me warm I ran outside and did everything I normally did. Soon it was too dark to be outside playing so I ran inside and pulled the door shut behind me.
Sitting all cosy and warm I felt like a baby wrapped in blankets. The fire would keep me warm until I stumble down the shiny slate floor, pulling the old green shabby blankets over my shoulders. It’s then I know that I will soon be asleep.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!