The Magic Puppy

Excellence Award in the 'Write As Rain 2014' competition

“Bye Mum, bye Dad,” said Lora. Her parents had just dropped her off at the animal rescue centre (ARC) for the first time. She was there to help the ARC staff with walking the dogs, Lora couldn’t wait to see them!

She pushed on the door that said DOGS. She looked at the kennels excitedly. Lora asked “which one will I take out first?” “It’s all up to you” said Marie, one of the staff.
“Okay, I’ll pick…… Oh I can’t do it!! I’ll just pick that one, then” she decided, pointing to a kennel. In it was a cute, pale golden Labrador puppy who seemed to understand her.
Marie said “good choice. Her name is Honey. Are you good with animals?” “Yes” answered Lora. “Good. She’s a bit scared sometimes.” “Okay.” Lora carefully took Honey out. “She may not run very fast, though” said Marie. “That’s okay” said Lora.
“Hi Lora” smiled another staff member who just came in. “Do you know where Honey’s lead is for Lora, Marie?”
“Yes, course I do! It’s the aqua one in that cupboard over there” exclaimed Marie. “I’ll go get it then” said Lora, walking over to the cupboard Marie was pointing at. “Let me see; is there an aqua leash in here? Yes, there is.” said Lora, excitedly. I can’t wait to take her out!” Honey barked joyfully. “Why don’t you just walk her around the block?” suggested Mandy. “That’s a great idea!” cried Lora “Let’s go right away!” “Okay, calm down Lora!” laughed Marie.

Honey and Lora started walking around the block. “Hallo Honey. Oh aren’t you adorable! Come now, then Honey, darling.” said Lora.
She was just beginning to walk around the block with Honey, when one of the really mean bullies at her school, Nancy, pushed her nose against the wire fence.
“Oh, are you talking to your imaginary friend?” she snarled, looking at Lora and Honey.
“No way Nancy! Don’t be silly!” said Lora, annoyed. “Ooooh, you’re embarrassed!” said Nancy, cheekily. “So what?” Lora exclaimed. “She’s sooooooo annoying sometimes” muttered Nancy grumpily, walking away. “I’m glad you’re finally going, Nancy. We don’t need you here.” said Lora confidently. “Bye” grumbled Nancy.
As soon as Nancy had stumbled away from the fence, Lora continued her walk around the block with Honey.
Once Nancy was out of sight, Honey stopped, stood up on her hind legs, coughed patiently and actually started to speak.

“You do not like her, do you?” said Honey. “I’m dreaming. I’m dreaming. I’m totally dreaming!!!” exclaimed Lora, shocked. “Did you really just talk to me?” Lora asked Honey. “Yes, I really just did talk to you.” barked Honey.
“Okay, I get it.” said Lora, finally believing that something unusual was happening. Honey looked around, alert. “Okay, now that we’re alone, I need to show you something important.” She said secretly, and they wandered off.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!