The First Crossing

In 1813, the three explorers Blaxland, Wentworth and Lawson wanted to complete a very important mission. One wanted to cross the Blue Mountains to improve his profile, another wanted to do it because he wanted more farming land. The final one did it because he was invited to by Blaxland. They knew what they had to face and the way to do it but the question is do you know what they had to face?
The three explorers started crossing the Blue Mountains in 1813 they had three dogs a few convicts and some pack horses. They knew it would be tough because there had been many explorers who had attempted to cross before but failed. They had a secret follow the ridges but how did they find this out?
First, they probably sat down and had a talk about what to do and how to do it. They are likely to know how many people they needed but they had to limit it thanks to the lack of food.
Next, they would have discussed the tools and if they should have a guide or not we are not sure if they had a guide. We do know that followed aboriginal tracks though. They also would have gathered enough food and required tools that they thought would be enough to survive the crossing.
Then, they set off. They had cut down many trees on their way and just as they were getting low on food the dogs killed a kangaroo. The explorers eventually got to a big rock and just fit through a hole in the middle of the rock. One night when they were camped out in a swamp they heard dogs barking and something in the bush moving they believed it was the aboriginal people hunting them down.
Finally, they found some land that would last the colony about thirty years. Imagine how excited they would have been to have almost crossed the Blue Mountains and be able to tell governor Macquarie. On the trip back they almost got lost they wasted four hours trying to get back on the right track but they eventually did it.
In the end Governor Macquarie ordered a track to be built through the Blue Mountains. When the track was finished the colony grew and they started grazing sheep for the industrial revolution that was happening in England. The three explorers got a reward and became heroes. This was the start to a GREAT AUSTRALIA.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!