Jake's Dream

In the small town of Barlow there was a poor orphanage where an adventurous boy named Jake lived. Jake always wanted to be a knight. His friends always said ‘dream on’. Every morning on the other side of the town at 8am the drawbridge would be opened and valiant Prince Mark would ride past the orphanage on his sturdy horse followed by his loyal knights into the countryside. One day when Jake was watching Mark riding to the countryside, he decided he had had enough of watching Mark and his knights go past and wanted to join them. So, he climbed a tall oak tree next to the huge metal gates and jumped out into the open. All the children watching him thought it was a clever idea, so they tried to climb the tree, but they all failed. Jake ventured off after the knights, sometimes running to catch up. No one noticed Jake following. When all the horses started to gallop, Jake realised he was being left behind. He tried to catch up, but he wasn’t fast enough. Jake was lost. He sat down on a large rock on the edge of the path. It had just started to rain. Jake was soaked. Just then he saw a massive shadow not that far away. He decided to act like a real knight and investigate. Soon he realised it was no ordinary shadow; it was the shadow of a dragon! Jake was scared, but he wouldn’t turn back, he couldn’t turn back. He felt something touch his back. He turned around. He was standing face to face with a magnificent dragon!! Jake screamed so loud the dragon got scared. “Don’t hurt me” pleaded Jake. “I won’t hurt you!” whispered the dragon. “Who are you?” stammered Jake. “I’m Bob” replied the gentle blue dragon. Suddenly, Bob looked worried. “What’s wrong Bob?” asked Jake. “Well, you see” started Bob, “I’m being hunted by humans riding horses.” Jake thought, ‘It must be Prince Mark. It had to be.’
Not far away, Mark and his knights were looking for Bob. Back where Bob and Jake were, they heard a rustle of leaves. They heard voices. Then, out of nowhere came Mark. “The dragon!” he yelled, “It’s right here. Capture IT!” “Stop!” screamed Jake in defence, “He’s my friend. Didn’t your parents teach you not to kill anyone?” Mark looked down at the small boy. You don’t just kill anything, even if it’s a dragon. “You’re right” he said, “I shouldn’t be killing this dragon. Come with me young boy.” So Jake walked with Mark back to the castle. When they got there, Mark said, “Wait here.” Minutes later, the King came out. All the knights lined up in lines. “This young boy” he said, “Has taught my son a lesson. In reward, I’ll give this boy anything! What would you like my boy?” “I would like to be a knight!” said Jake. So, from that day on, Jake was one of the King’s knights.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!