Darkest Night

“This is creepy, Andy,” my friend Jake was grabbing my ripped sleeve. “Let go,” I whispered. “You’re hurting me.” Jake didn’t seem to hear. He stared straight ahead into the darkness, gripping my arm. Jake, please…” I pleaded.
Finally I shook my arm free. I was scared too, but I didn’t want to admit it. Tonight seemed to be darker then the darkest night. I squinted hard, trying to see. Suddenly a grey light glowed dimly in front of us. Jake ducks low startling me, even in the foggy light I could see the gear in his eyes. He grabbed my arm again, his mouth dropped open, I could hear him panting. Even though I was frightened a smile crossed my face. I like seeing Jake scared, actually I enjoy it.
“I know, I know that’s terrible, I admit it, Andy Wright you’re a bad person,” I thought to myself.
Jake always brags that he is braver then me, that I am a wimp. He is usually right, he is the brave one and I’m a wimp. But not tonight, tonight I was the brave one.
The grey light ahead of us slowly grew brighter. Someone coughed…. But Jake and I didn’t turn, our eyes stared straight ahead, waiting, watching… As I squinted into the grey light a fence appeared, it was a long wooden fence. The paint had faded and was peeling off. A hand written sign appeared on the fence, it read, “DANGER, KEEP OUT. THIS MEANS YOU!
Jake and I both gasp…..
Then we heard a banging sound, I tried to swallow, but my mouth suddenly felt dry. I had the urge to run, but I couldn’t leave Jake there alone. Besides if I ran away now he would never let me forget it, and tease me forever, so I stayed beside him, listening to banging sounds. Was someone trying to break free on the other side, I really wanted to sprint for my life. But I really wanted to know what was making that noise. So I grabbed Jake by his shirt and dragged him with me to explore. We got to the fence, it was old one of the palings was hanging off, I ripped it out. We climbed through the hole, nothing could have prepared us for what was next.
It was a junk yard, full of cages. Jake fainted. “Great,” I said. Suddenly the grey light surrounded Jake and lifted him up, he began to speak. “My name is Jobee Robertson and my pets need to be buried!” He pointed to the cages. I stood frightened, not believing what I was seeing. Then Jake fell to the ground and the grey light was gone, I knew what I had to do.
I quickly grabbed all the bones and buried them, Jake woke up there was no time to waste. I grabbed Jake and we ran out of there as quick as possible back to the beginning.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!