Saving Underland

The cloak fluttered around her feet as she followed the orbs through the forest. She had been walking for minutes but it felt like an hour, it always did when looking for the Underworld portal. She could hear the boy following her, his movements panicked and jerky. He moved like an animal trying not to get hit. She wanted to call out to him but she knew it would scare him off. The thought pained Aileen because she could remember how he used to be. Hugh had once been happy and a joker, but then again, he wasn't of this world and maybe that was the problem.

"we're going back now, you can get better" Aileen whispered.
"No I wont, because you wont be staying" Hugh whispered back, straitening up and standing at his proper height, Hugh's 6'5 frame was well built.
"I'll stay as long as I can, you know I will," she said, she felt pain pierce through her heart at her words. They had had this fight when she left the first time. "How is everyone?" Aileen asked, knowing they were getting closer to the portal.
"Ask for who you really want to know about Aileen" Hugh whispered sadly.
"How is Luca?"
"He misses you," Hugh said, watching her.
"At least he had you," Aileen commented also watching Hugh from the corner of her eye.
"But he doesn't love me as much as he loves you" he said.
"we're here" Aileen whispered before stepping through the Underland, Aileen waited for Hugh to walk through the portal. When he did she wasn't surprised to see Chess instead. Chess, Hugh's other form was a blue and grey stripped floating cat that had a huge smile showing all his teeth.

"Give Hugh back Chess" Aileen sighed, Chess laughed it was a deep throaty sound that was more like a growl than a laugh. "Oh, But he never lets me have control anymore, and you know you love me more than him anyway," Chess said, his eyes narrowing "you do still love us don't you?"
"of course I still love you both, why would you even ask?" Aileen whispered hurt that either one of them would doubt her. Aileen could still remember when she first met them, they had been flickering between each other, not knowing how to control it, one moment you he was Hugh, her shy, beautiful Hugh and then he'd be Chess- The Cheshire cat and Aileen must say he was charming and they had travelled to the red queen together to tell the news of Alice and along the way she had fallen for both of them.

"You left" Chess said simply almost emotionlessly.
"okay give Hugh back control Chess, NOW!" Aileen yelled glaring at him.
"Of course, My love" the cat said sadly knowing just how much their doubt hurt her.
"sweetheart, what did he say to you? you're crying" Hugh said wiping her cheeks. Aileen leaned into his hand and sighed, taking a deep breath.
"This is what we're going to do, we will get our son, then we are going to plan how to save Underland and once we've done that you're going to kiss me, got it?"

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!