Ocean

If descending the massive, slippery sand dune was risky, ascending it would make my already sore muscles ache. But as soon as our group had reached the destination, I couldn’t seem to allow my breath to escape from my system. I could feel my cheeks going red, and the pain, growing inside me. But still, I couldn’t manage to release the oxygen, almost as if it weren’t even there. Because what I saw now completely took every last bit of my breath away.
The rocks were all kinds of different shapes and sizes, each one offering a daring leap into an amazing adventure. The rock pools that may have looked small, but at closer inspection, seemed to go as deep as the ocean floor itself, were filled with fish, coral and plants that held vibrant colours I didn’t even know existed! The marvellous mystery was all coated in a layer of water that seemed to reflect a crystal blue.
Blue. My gaze slowly turned upwards and focused on what was ahead, but the wishy-washy water sounds that whispered in my ears already told me exactly what that was. When I finally caught sight of it, I knew what was happening, and everything suddenly fell into place.
The fluent scenery of the waves, thrashing the rocks vigorously, but somehow managing to hold serenity, filled my eye line. The whisper in my ears grew louder; however, it still seemed quite soft and gentle. The salty breeze tickled my nose, sent shivers through my fragile body, caused strange tastes to prick at my tongue, but continued to reassure me. Because I had become one with the ocean.
It was almost as if the moment was like a wave itself; how it came rushing towards me, how it danced around me and tempted me to plunge right in, how it slowly died down and sunk back into the dangerous depths of the ocean floor – only this time, it took me with it. And, gazing into the deep, pure clarity of the sea, I entirely lost myself, letting the waves drown me in blue.
After my treasured moment of real peace, the wonderful waves that had whispered in my ears slowly faded away, replaced by the voices of my friends, directed at me. As I blankly walked towards them, one last chilly wave lapped at my toes, freezing them, but somehow making me feel calm. I took one last look at the ocean, glimmering in the sunlight that had finally managed to break the grey clouds apart.
Time to make my reluctant return to reality. For now.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!