Zindermere

One cold, sunny morning, I crept out of our old brick house in Oxford into the crisp breeze and started running. My feet padded against the dewy lawns as I ran freely, embracing the wind against my face. I came across a house being built at the end of our street. Even though I wasn't allowed to go inside, I decided to explore the construction site.
At the back of the messy yard there was a broken water fountain. I dusted it off and stood it up. It looked like something that should have been in Trafalgar Square! An elegant, beautiful dolphin was perched on a rock with ornate jewels on the outline of its body. Its eyes were a deep, turquoise blue. I was drawn to it and was about to touch it when I heard a man’s voice coming closer.
I started panicking. I fell back and accidentally touched the dolphin’s eye. I felt a magical sensation sweep over me. The world started spinning around and all of a sudden I was in an unknown land. Everything was cold, dreary and white.
I turned around. A flash of blue hit me. I felt a dreadful pain on my forehead. I heard someone shouting, “Leave her alone, Ida. Don’t touch her or I’ll kill you!”
The next voice gave me the shivers. Ida had a raspy, evil-sounding voice that said, “You fool Clarissa, you can’t kill me. Only this worthless human can. You know that I am the rightful heir to the throne of Zindermere. Favouritism got in the way and our parents put you in the throne. I am fuming and ever since I have been trying to get revenge but you have got mother’s power, so I can’t do anything about it! This human must be your little ally to banish me from here. Do you REALLY think that I should let her live?”
Clarissa was trying to protect me whilst numerous blue streaks whizzed past me, eventually striking her. I tried to get up but I couldn't. I heard Clarissa cry an agonised scream as she fell and touched me, filling me with magical warmth. I stumbled, but managed to touch Ida. I heard her shriek. I looked up and saw her disappear into the ground as death welcomed her with open arms.
I felt a calming hand on my shoulder. I opened my eyes. I was in a room inside a grand castle. Was I still in Zindermere? I realised that I was on a four-poster silk covered bed. I then saw Clarissa sitting on the end. I went to thank her but was surprised with what I saw next. She appeared some-what ghost-like. I gasped and looked at her with horror. “Don’t worry child, I will not hurt you. Ida had cursed our land and our kingdom. You were the chosen one to kill her.”
After that, Clarissa turned into a shimmering white ribbon and then…vanished.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!