Family Is Forever

Cancer, the world destruction that seemed to be my enemy, the one thing tearing me apart, the thing that made reality set in. The one thing that ripped apart a family, that took a loving person and destroyed him, the one thing I hated the most. The thing that's unfair in life! The word that could have your mind thinking about if things could be different. It tipped my world around and made me see things that I didn't think I would have to face. My twin brother Jamie was diagnosed with cancer and after a year he stopped responding to treatments. My family was so scarred that year, as we fought to keep strong after the doctors said it would best if he past away quickly, peacefully. Standing here in front of the hospital as I prayed to God telling him to rewind time, praying that everything will be alright but life wasn't like that, that no matter how hard or fast you try to run away from it, it will always creep up and remind you about it, making you realise that life is cruel. Walking into the room my brother laid still on the hospital bed, pale and fragile as though the life was sucked out of his soul. My hand grasping his tightly afraid of losing him, that if he goes I would lose my connection to the world, that a lifetime scar will be painted on my soul. "Sis promise me that you won't cry, that you will be happy...take care of mum and dad. I love you." He said his voice weak and vulnerable. "Maybe I'm being selfish to want you to stay because I'm not ready to let you go. Please stay. I love you Jamie. Please" I said pleadingly. A tear dripped down the corner of his eye, falling down his cheek and that was when I knew that I lost him, that he was gone. My soul wept hard that day as a part if my soul withered and became a scar on the part that was left behind. A few days after his death I refused to accept the fact that he was gone. I didn't sleep, didn't eat. I didn't do anything except stay in bed crying. The day before his funeral at about 11 pm at night I was awake looking out side my bedroom window staring out as rain drops fell down my window. Then I heard my name being called out from the voice I need to hear from, the voice that lit my way home. Jamie's voice. "Jamie." I asked in disbelief. "The one and only" he said causing me to laugh. " That's what I like to hear, no more crying." "But you're gone" I told him. "No I've been here the whole time. I'm always here because family lasts forever." That was the last time I saw Jamie but it made me realise that even through life's toughest parts you can always count on love, family and most definitely God.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!