The Diary Of Marion-Rose

Day 1 19 February 1942
Hi, my name is Marion-Rose. I am ten years old turning 11 on the 21st of May. I live here in Darwin Australia, with my mother, father and three brothers. Jonathon 15 the tall and brainy one, James 12, small but adventurous, then there’s little Peter, my twin. Mother gave me this diary on my 10th birthday. That day I put it down and I couldn't find it again, well, that was until now. But there is one more thing you should probably know, it is World War Two.
“Marion-Rose” called my mother “come here right now, you’re going to be late for school!” I didn't care if I was late for school really, I have no friends and each day I put up with name-calling bullies. Mother says for me to just ignore them. The problem is ‘just ignoring them’ doesn't work.
It takes my brothers and I 20 minutes to walk to school. I would moan to my brothers only if we had a car! But we will never get one because these days no one has money like that. Finally, we walk through the school gates and out to the open field. I put my bag down on the rack and run off to my special spot; underneath the big orchid tree. So really that leads up to now! Uh oh, here comes trouble. It’s Nancy, Annie and Miranda. The meanest girls I've ever met. “What do you think you’re doing?” Nancy snapped. “What do you think I’m doing” I hissed. That was a big mistake because everybody knows that the thing those girls do best is making a scene. Blah, blah, blah they went on for what seemed like hours. Soon enough they left but with a satisfied grin on their faces. A moment later the bell rings and it’s time for class.
After a few hours of learning, games and more learning it was time for lunch. As usual mum packed me an apple and a sandwich in a brown paper bag. When I sat down I thought of the squabble between Nancy and I. Fortunately they left me alone but i knew they would come back.
I finished my lunch and was about to go to the bathroom when I heard the siren go off. That meant we were being attacked. Was it an air raid? Or a simple misunderstanding? We didn't know, but what we did know, was to run. Soon enough everyone was inside the basement. Luckily, everyone was accounted for. Even still, my heart was beating faster and faster; I had never faced so much fear in my life. Suddenly, without warning, the walls and ceiling started to crumble. Dust and plaster was everywhere. My head was flooding with thoughts and questions, and that’s when everything went black.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!