The "Phase"

I put my ear-buds in. I listened to the nice rhythm of the music, I walked down the street, cars crashed on the side, lawns were turned to dust, the houses boarded up. Everyone had gone crazy. It was called a “phase”. It came from radios, phones, at once. Whoever was listening to those at the same time the “phase” happened, were turned into crazies. Crazies were indeed crazy; they thrashed around, and killed anything closer in a five mile radius: lethal.
Bow and arrows ready, my bow, nice and cold, a brilliant combination of Oak wood. I went to a car. The houses had trees along the front. The sky was turning red. The road was empty. I put my bow on the car hood. I put my hair down then put it into a pony-tail. The heat was getting to me.
I was wearing a white top, black small leather jacket, a black cap, black jeans, I also had boots on. In case any crazies came, I would be ready. I had a pack on, small. Orange, black, I had to cover the orange with mud in case it got reflective. Inside held stale bread, two cans of tuna, a bottle of water and a hip flask holding alcohol. It was good if I got sick, I had to take a sip to help my stomach cope with the disease the waters held now.
My family, friends, gone, and a new formation was rising in the west. I was headed east. It was safer to be on my own, I could do less damage if I turned. I got my bow back in my hands, I had it loaded. My knife on my belt also making me feel safe. I had found no one since the “phase” happened. I was stuck, I was alone.
I heard a crack, I whispered “crap” softly, but I had myself ready. Standing away from me was a deer. It was small, maybe a great meal. I fired once, penetrating its leg. I was stunned, I always hit the eye. I checked myself, all around was clear and went in to finish the pain.
I stabbed it and let it bleed out. The scent was going to drift towards the crazies; they didn't have much food now: cans and wildlife. My plan was finding someone and maybe raise a civilization together.
‘Disgusting,’ I heard as I pivot with my foot and turned. I saw a girl. She had the same green eyes I did, blonde long curly hair; she was wearing basically the same as me. Finger less gloves covered her palms. ‘Hey, who are you?’ the girl asked.
‘Chelsea, who are you?’ I asked. She could blow my cover, why is she here? Could she be a spy for someone from the west, or maybe she was doing the same as I was. Can I trust her?
I heard a twig snap, she yelled, ‘duck.’ I did in time, she threw a small knife, landing on the monsters eye. I was really surprised by her performance: precisely done. No hesitation. I could use her for my team maybe, I thought. I needed a few allies to get me east. She was perfect.
I turned, I saw them. There was a whole marching band holding a few hundred? I was shocked. They were all disfigured, broken bones, scars, bloody clothes, torn and ragged as they were, I was stunned to see one at the front. She was my little sister.
I gasped, having no idea how I was going to get out alive, I grabbed my arrows and charged forwards.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!