Janshai And The Great Quest

The warrior crouched on the parapet. Rain pelted his cloak as he deflected a sword and shoved the last guard from the parapet. He scanned the area for other soldiers. A terrible shriek tore through the air, and the nearest turret shattered under an immense force, reduced to a fusillade of flying stones. An enormous creature soared through the air, wreathed in fire and thorns. Flames erupted, and the warrior was lost in an avalanche that seemed to consume the world.

Janshai tore his hoe from the ground. He looked around the plantation and saw the overseer crossing the field on a large horse. Another reminder that the common people had been slaves under tyrants for generations. Last night’s ridiculous dream was nothing but a fantasy. Suddenly, he felt a tugging instinct. Barely conscious of what he was doing, he sprinted at the overseer, faster than he’d ever run in his life. The overseer saw him and drew his sword, then sliced. Janshai ducked, hijacked the horse and rode off.

When he was well into the forest, he regained his senses. He had never considered running before, and he certainly hadn’t fought or rode a horse. He had no idea what had happened. Suddenly a mystical warrior stood before him, not in the forest, but in some strange mist-shrouded world. Then he spoke; “I am Cassius, elite chieftain for the old civilisation. You are my last descendent, my last chance to bring back the old world. Your king is but a puppet for the true enemy, whom we know only as the witch. I will strengthen you and fight through you.”

Janshai returned to the forest, but could now see a team of shadowy mist-like creatures approaching. “Hold your ground, and do not run.” They drew closer, but then the nearest dropped to the ground as a pile of ash, leaving a sword. “That was me, take it!” Janshai leaped for the sword, then effortlessly cut through the remaining shadows. As he finished, a new wraith took shape. It charged at him, but appeared to hit an invisible barrier. He leapt to attack, but Cassius warned, “She is not like the others, do not move!” Bursting with confidence, Janshai cut at the figure, but his weapon melted. It then materialized in her hand. He shivered as the witch’s dark shroud expanded like a cobra’s hood. “You can’t beat her in your form, I must do this.” Janshai heard Cassius say. She sliced, but the blade went straight through Janshai without any effect. The spectre shrieked and dissolved into nothingness.

The nightmarish dragon soared overhead, and the earth trembled as it dived toward him. Janshai saw Cassius’s death replayed. He also noticed the witch’s hood and sword left behind. “That cloak is the dragon’s life force. Finish this.” He sliced through the cloak. The shreds writhed like dying snakes and ripped themselves further apart. The monstrous beast convulsed in the air, then fell to the ground dead. Janshai was free.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!