Quest For The Fire Stone Part One.

It was all confusion in the castle Ciem, Grianfar could hear it. It was midnight and Grianfar was roused from his hut in the village by the palace servant. She told him to come to the palace immediately. Grianfar put on his cloak over his nightshirt, picked up his sword and staff and followed the servant girl to the palace. When they reached the great hall there was a crowd there and on a platform at the far end was King Arold sitting on his throne.
“Hush, hush!” he said, “I have something of great importance to tell you.” The crowd was silent.
“There is a shadow in the East coming from the mountains. There is evil growing in the Shadow of the Dead.” The crows shuddered at its’ name. That place was known for its’ bad fortune, but there had never been a confirmed evil there.
“Dangerous times are coming,” the King said, “We must be cautious, we must prepare for War.” In the future that same war would be called The Battle of the Dark.
________________
Fourteen Years later…
Rolland was practicing his sword fighting with his master, Grianfar. He had just told Rolland for the millionth time about the Kings speech fourteen years earlier. Pukifire, Rolland’s dragon was sleeping in the hut.
Rolland was a thirteen year old wizard. He was tall and healthy with black hair down to his ears. He wore a long, dark green cloak . He was an expert shot with a bow and arrow, but was legendary at sword fighting and magic. He had a magic staff with a dragon ruby at the top. His strongest power was forest.
Grianfar was getting old. His long black hair and long beard were touched with grey. He wore a pointed hat and a worn out, dark green cloak. He had a sword, a bow and arrow, and a staff. His chosen power was sea.
Grianfar said that the war fourteen years ago was only a bit of what the enemy could throw at them, and that preparations for something much worse were afoot.
Grianfar brought Rolland inside and sat down at the table, “Last night, the king told me that the fire stone has been stolen by the enemy, and that it is our job to retrieve it!”
“Yes!” Rolland shouted, excited.
_____________
Rolland was miserable. It had been raining ever since they started out of Der. They were on horseback in the Lien forest, and the horses and Dragon weren’t having the best time either! Suddenly a Shrieker lept out from the trees. This giant spider with wings , two stingers and a violet stripe in his back that shoots poison. Rolland and Grianfar were quick to draw and shot her in one of her eyes. She ran shrieking away.
Rolland was both relieved and shocked. It was the first time he had ever actually wounded a living creature. He just realised that this would be the start of a very long quest…….

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!