Just Another Afternoon

Excellence Award in the 'Write As Rain 2014' competition

Once again, I’d been waiting for this my whole life! Two minutes till I could get the best game in the world. ‘Ding, ding, ding.’ As soon as I heard that bell, I zoomed out the door. As I turned, “BAM!” “Hey! Watch where you’re going!” exclaimed the boy. ‘Can’t stop now,’ I thought. There was only a matter of minutes before the shops closed. “Oh no…” I mumbled. I must not give up hope. So I ran like a cheetah down the street. When I got there, everyone was leaving. I walked closer. In bold letters, on a piece of paper, read the horrible words: CLOSED.
“Nooooo!” I shouted. I rushed to the back of the shop, “Mr Brown!” I said. “Who’s calling my name?” he replied. “Me, sir!” I shouted. “What do you want?” answered Mr Brown annoyingly. “Sir, is it too late to get one of the games?” I asked in hope. “I think it’s your lucky day. I have one more left.” As I paid and received the game I rushed back home excitedly.
Straight away, I turned on my video console and turned the game on. I was ecstatic. I didn’t even say hello to Mum and Dad. As the game loaded, something popped up. It said, “Welcome to the game.” I started to feel strange. My eyes blurred and were heavy. By no other choice, I dropped off into a deep slumber.
I woke up suddenly and to my disbelief, I was right in the middle of the video game! ‘This is amazing!’ I thought. Suddenly out of nowhere, a beam of light blinded me. There, right before me, was a massive screen. “Hello my gamers. In 3 hours, the game will be locked and you will not be able to return to your home.” ‘What?! I just got this new game and already there is someone trying to attack me!’ I thought above the murmur of voices.
“Oh man,” I said, and then set off. When I was walking I heard someone shouting “Hello, hello!” “Who’s there?’’ I yelled back. Then I saw a glimpse of the person. I had seen that face before and as he got closer realised it was my friend! “Mike!’’ I said. “What’s in your hand?” “It’s a map,” he said. “We’ve got to find this person and stop him!” he said. “Let’s go!”
Exhausted and worried, a giant castle came into view. Hundreds of wild dogs barked madly outside. “How will we stop them?” Mike asked. “What about this? I’ll distract them. You go in, find him and stop him quick. There’s only 15min left!” I suggested. As I saw my friend struggling, I ran inside, jumped through the door and pressed the red cancel button. Out of nowhere, a portal sucked me back up and I was back home on my seat.
Mum knocked on the door. “You alright in there hunny?” I leaped out at her and hugged her like I’d never let go! Perhaps it was time to spend a bit more time with her. Never know when I'll be sucked back into a game again!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!