Zoe And The Magic Piano

One morning, a girl called Zoe and her grandmother went shopping at the antique store. While Zoe’s grandmother was looking at some old clocks, Zoe wandered around and eventually sat down at the piano she saw when they first walked in. Zoe was 8 years old but when she was only 6, she had become deaf after having a bad case of the Measles. She had just learnt to play the piano back then but when she became deaf she stopped. Now as she sat down and began to play, she felt the same thrill coming back to her. It felt great playing the piano again.
Zoe could hear in her mind, the sound the notes were making as she played the song “Mary had a little lamb.” She noticed her grandmother come to listen and the owner of the shop turned up also. Well, she thought, it is a pretty boring song but I guess they must like it, so she kept playing it over and over.
Suddenly Zoe stopped playing. Her grandmother was crying. “Why are you crying?” she asked.
Zoe’s grandmother turned away to wipe away her tears. “Oh, my dear Zoe, I am crying because I haven’t seen you so happy enjoying music since you lost your hearing. They are just tears of happiness!” she whispered.
“Nanna, you are so silly!” Zoe replied and hugged her. Zoe’s grandmother looked astonished. She realized she hadn't been facing Zoe when she spoke. “Zoe, did you hear me?” she asked. Then it was Zoe’s turn to look surprised.
“Yes,” she answered in amazement. They both looked at each other. Zoe’s grandmother looked at the shop owner and said, “I want to buy this piano!” The man was very happy to hear this because the piano had been in his shop for many years. “Of course,” he replied, “You must have it.” “It must be meant for your granddaughter as it plays for no-one else!”
He pushed down a key to show her that he could not make any sound. Zoe’s grandmother tried to play but again the piano was silent.
The shop owner found a music book for the piano and soon Zoe's piano music filled the store. People walking past the store stopped, drawn by the music and came into the shop. Zoe’s grandmother told Zoe that the piano must be magical and she agreed. Not only had her hearing come back but suddenly she was really good at playing and she was also playing tunes she had never even heard of! The shop owner was delighted at all the people in his store because they all wanted to buy lots of things. Everyone was happy, even the piano it seemed, as it found a new home with Zoe. So that is the story of how Zoe got back her hearing and the piano got back its voice.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!