Familiar Feeling

As I stood, the air chilled around me. My face was frozen with fear as I saw her face in a distant haze. I had not known this girl, we had not spoken a word. It was dark in this place, as the mist crawled around me. I looked upon her face and gave her one last glance before I Turned away and stepped into further darkness. The streetlight burned bright in the distant and the abrupt movement to my right shook the tree branches. It was a bad place, where I stood and felt at home. The abandoned town is where I loved, it’s all I have ever really known.
As night turned to day, I awoke to the broken and dead branches of the trees surrounding me. This life is nothing of my dreams I wondered as I forward my thoughts on to how it became. It will be delightful they say as the broken pieces fall to place. Their convincing faces to cover the nightmare beginning. I knew in the depth of my heart the unspoken words were the truth and this…. Is not my destiny?
My parents left me when I was quite young. Abandoned on a doorstep in North Carolina with the empty feeling to grow up so familiar with. I don’t know if uncertainty was the key to my parent’s choices or if I was an unwanted child. Their decisions have left darkness in my heart since the first day. Now I’m of age 17, stumbling through the gutter of a broken street.
I looked up to the image of this figure again. An unspoken word, a beautiful girl. I continued opposite to where she was and I walked forward and to the door of my own. At the time I was situated in an old shed, just towards the middle of this town. I hadn’t ever had a real home; I always had myself and never anyone else. I never remembered clear phases of why I was here; I barely remember how I came to this age. I always hoped that when I was a youth, someone nice had taken me under their shelter and called me their own. I do not recall any further back from now. Every time I have a slight thought, I regress and slip away into my dreams.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!