Drifting Far Away

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

As the sun gradually drowned in the horizon, the sky became a painted canvas of colours, creating a malevolent glow across the infinite crystal grains beside the churning water. A crowd of black gathered along the shores, watching the gentle waves slowly crashing and meeting their end.

Each one of them clutched a jar filled with shimmering fragments, but individually they were scattered into the endless waves, forming a layer of luminosity hovering over the calm sea, reflecting the warmth of the sun. As the people finished, tears trickled down colourless faces, displaying masks of grief and sorrow. Eventually I approached the borderline and threw the last handful of glitter into the sea, bringing the funeral to a finish.

A rush of realization surged through my body, thrusting me back towards the side of a cliff that was like a soaring majestic eagle, slowly sliding down until my knees were in front of my face. I thought a lifetime seemed like a distance away, but truly, she was only fourteen precious years.

She's really gone, just like the glitter, drifting far away.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!