That Girl In The Mirror

I hated that girl in the mirror, Her icy blue eyes staring back at me. Her dead straight black hair and pasty white skin mocking me. That girl, she had nothing to live for.

Nothing.

The problem is, that girl, is me.

My name is Echo Styles. I'm seventeen years old and my older brother, Declan, and I, live in an old abandoned apartment. Every apartment in our building consisted of stained walls and creaking floor boards. We used to live in a nice house, but that was before.

I had school today, but I'd rather stay home than go to that hell hole. My ring tone started, indicating it was my brother, Declan. I had a different ring tone for everyone. Declan's was 'The Monster' by Eminem featuring Rhianna since it's his favourite song. Amelia's is 'You and I' by One Direction since it's her favourite song.

My best friend is Amelia. She was diagnosed with cancer a year ago. I miss hanging out with her so much. I let a tear roll down my face. I had always kept a strong front when I'm around people, everyone except Amelia. She's seen so many of my emotional breakdowns since my parents died in a car crash, I think we both lost count. Declan admired my strong personality, if only he really knew.

My phone started ringing again, Declan just never gives up. I finally decided to answer it.

"What do you want Declan?", I asked bitterly.

"So your obviously not going to school", He said in his usual irritated tone. He worked two jobs just to keep up with the rent. He worked at the local café during the day and at night he worked as a dj at a club about ten minutes down the road called 'Bounce'. His dream was to become a professional dj, he was amazing at it but unless he got a scholarship to study music at a university, it was sad to say he had no chance.

"You know I hate that hell hole", I growled into the phone.

I hung up on him before he could say anything else. I'd had enough, I needed to see Amelia. I desperately needed to know she was okay.

I was dressed for a cold winter day it had always been extra cold in Queensland when winter came. I wore a long sleeve grey sweater, ripped black jeans and dark chest nut boots.

I started heading towards the hospital it had been a year since Amelia found out she had cancer, and ever since then I have locked myself in my bathroom every day and cried. I pray every night before I fell asleep, hoping and wishing she'll be okay. I could never survive without her. She was the other half of me. My best friend for seventeen years. We were always there for each other no matter what, and that's when I decided this time it really was my turn to be the strong one.

I was so determined for Amelia to make it, and then I realised,

Nobody wants to die.

It just happens.

Nobody wants to suffer.

It just happens.

Nobody wants pain.

It just happens.

Nobody plans these things.

They just happen.

When I finally did arrive at the hospital that day her I saw her parents crying, my heart skipped a beat. Her parents never cried, even when they found out she had cancer. I slowly walked closer until they saw me. Kelly, Amelia's Mum, came running and engulfed me in a hug.

"I'm s-s-so sorry", she whispered.

I pulled away tears gliding down my face.

"NO!",I screamed. This can't be the end, she's too young. NO.NO.NO.NO.NO.

"Where is she!?" I asked screaming again.

Her mother pointed to the room next to us. I opened the door, and slammed it closed behind me. I slowly walked to the bed, expecting a cheerful Amelia. But instead laying on the bed was a lifeless girl. That wasn't Amelia. It couldn't be. I entwined my fingers with hers, so I was holding her stone cold hand.

"Amelia", I whispered. I was now an emotional wreck, tears streaming down my face in every which way.

That's it, I had to be with her. I ran out of the hospital and as fast as I could to my apartment. I unlocked the door to find Declan sitting there looking frantic.

"I was worried, I called you like nine times, until I saw your phone on the table", he yelled pacing around the room.

"Declan...s-s-she's gone", I stuttered.

He stopped pacing, realisation taking over his face."I'm so sorry...Echo", he whispered.

Yeah I know he was sorry, everyone was always sorry. Sometimes it seems like sorry just wasn't going to cut it.

"I have to be with her", I said wiping my tears away, determination flowing through my veins.

"Echo, No...", his voice sounded distant and his eyes couldn't meet mine. He wasn't as close to Amelia as I was, and he would never admit it but he loved her too.

I looked to the ground and said, "You wouldn't understand".

I ran to the bathroom and locked the door.

"Echo don't, do this!" he screamed banging on the door.

I pulled the third draw open revealing a sharp silver blade. I pulled my sleeves up and sat on the floor. I stabbed the blade into my lower wrist and pulled it upwards, just like old times. Slicing my skin across just didn't feel the same.

I blocked out Declan pleads and sliced my skin some more. The door swung open and I looked down to see a messy blood bath.

"Echo what have you done?", His voice breaking braking, when he asked it. His eyes were glistening from crying.

He has never seen me like this and it hurt to hear him speak like that. For once I felt...ashamed about it. Why did I do this? I know for a fact Amelia would never want me to this to myself. She made me promise I would never do it again, I broke her promise.

I leant my head against the wall, while Declan wrapped his arms around me.

"I-I-I m-miss her already, Declan", I sobbed into his shoulder.

"I know baby, I miss her too, but we're going to get through this", he cooed and kissed my forehead.

"I never thought, it would be you comforting me", I tried making a joke in our awkward situation.

He sniffled, "Promise me you won't do this again, Echo".

"I've already broken that promise once, and I'm not about to do it again".

"We're going to get past this, you know that right?", he asked.

I nodded my head, "I know...but...I also know that it's going to take some time".

Declan held my hand and started a prayer, "We love you Amelia, we know you're in a better place now. You are going to be missed every day; you are forever in our hearts and will never be forgotten".

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!