Violet Dragon

held the violet egg in my hands it was big but frail. Everyone has left the ceremony, children were tested to see if the egg would hatch for them, but it never did, all those children left, many little dwarf and human kids disappointed. I being a street rat I never got to be a part of anything. My fingers traced the spider-web like patterns across the shell, it was very pretty.
“Hello?” I said to the creature inside. I sat down cross legged on the floor, with the egg in my lap. I pulled my hair out of my face and behind my pointed ears. I thought, do you have to do something? Like knock on it and it will knock back? I’m a dragon rider yet I have still never witness a dragon hatching before.
Suddenly the purple egg started to rock back and forth, squeaking slightly as it goes. “What the?” I whisper to myself, moving the egg to the stone floor. The egg started to glow a violet colour. The squeaking turned into a high pitch screech; I covered my ears for protection. When I thought it was safe I opened my eyes and then uncovered my ears, what I saw was pieces of egg shell on the ground.
‘Did it just?’ I thought just as a purple blur came right past me, mouth hang open, why me? I’m a hobo, nothing but a street rat, why hatch for me? I sit on the floor again with my eyes closed thinking of what just happened, when I open them, my green eyes are met with lilac ones. Jumping back a bit, I then saw a baby dragon.
“Hey there little girl” I smiled, it was cute, I reached out to touch it but she moved back, I kept my hand there, showing I wasn’t going to hurt it, it came closer and touched it head to my hand.
“Hey! What do you think you’re doing?” It was a guard. The dragon got up on my shoulders and the guard gasped. “THE DRAGON HAS HATCHED!” Other guards came in, and told me to follow them taking the dragon with me.
“So where are your parents?” one guard asked. I was a 14 year old orphan
“I don’t have any, I’m a street rat” I admit. The rest of the walk was quiet silent.
After my long talk with the king and journey to one of the guard’s house who told me I needed more things on my journey I was on the boat arriving at the country where the elves live, I was told to come here and be with my people by the king so now I am here. Alok was really excited, that’s what I named him the dragon. It was a boy.

I was now with my people, I now had some place to call home and I have made many friends. None of this would’ve happened if it went for my curiosity.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!