Night

I slipped out the window into the dawn while everyone else was still dreaming, the information was taped to my stomach, against my skin. Hidden. Safe. If my parents knew where I was going they would never forgive me. I headed south down Razi road for about half an hour before I saw it. It was so dark.
It was the largest crowd of people I had ever seen huddled in one place. As I headed towards the door my sight slowly weakens till everything I look at appears grey, with a tinge of colour. There was so much smoke. I could see people trying to talk to me but it was very loud, I couldn't hear what they were saying. My favourite song was playing as someone passed me my first drink of the night. I followed the sound of the music towards the stage.
Everyone clears a path towards it for me as I slowly walk towards the stage with my navy blue Funk Volume Hoodie. They can’t see my face but they know who I am immediately. I finally reach the stage. I only walked a few meters but it feels like a marathon. My heart was racing so fast, my blood was pumping even faster, I thought my hands were going to fall off.
I climbed up on to the stage and Mike Pipes passes me a mic. The whole crowd is cheering and they haven’t even seen my face yet. Mike signals towards the DJ to stop the music. My opponent approached me on the stage in his Slaughterhouse Hoodie. I couldn’t see his face and he couldn’t see mine. The cheering from the crowd continued for about 10 seconds before the DJ sounded the siren. He signalled us to take off our hoods and allow the crowd to see our faces. I looked over and saw who I was going to be battling for the night. It was Royce da 5’9”. I knew this wasn’t going to be easy straight away. He was one of my favourite rappers and one of the best freestylers.
Mike came forward and stood in-between us and threw the coin up. I called heads and it won the toss.
I thought the only way I could win the battle is if I went first and made him choke. The DJ started the beat. It was a fast aggressive beat, like nothing I’d ever heard before. Words came to mind and I didn’t even think about what I was saying. It happened so fast. As soon as I stopped spitting, I heard the whole crowd roar. What I said must have been good. Royce looked so mad. He walked off the stage. I had done It, I had won the battle. My grand prize was $1000. Mike passed me the cash and I walked off the stage the same way I had got on and walked straight back out the door and headed home to prepare for the next battle.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!