The Repeater

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

I watched the world around me fall helplessly. The military helicopter was hovering over the battlefield causing a distraction. I had a face of determination to get rid of the evil that was infiltrating our beloved planet, but deep, deep down, I felt fear swirling around and around inside me. We were hopelessly outnumbered. There was nothing we could do to stop the nuclear war…
The helicopter landed in the centre of the battlefield. Everyone in my division reluctantly stepped out. I felt my heart beating wildly. The enemy were approaching our position with full aggression, ready to destroy Earth.
I crouched for cover at the same time trying to think of a tactic to end this war. My heart was still pounding in my chest. I smashed my fist against it to try to calm down. I was so angry this was happening, but fearful all the while. I wished like I have never wished before for a retraction in time; for a world of peace and justice. It seemed nobody cared about the world anymore, but why? We have the basic building blocks to support a democracy, yet so many people seem to lack the compassion and enthusiasm to care for our planet. The government were the ones who started the war, undoubtedly.
I stepped up behind my cover and all of a sudden my world was dark, invisible. I couldn’t see anything; couldn’t smell anything; couldn’t feel anything. I had been shot. My steps towards achieving my goal were over before they had even started.
I seemed to drift in and out of consciousness for hours.
I watched the world around me fall helplessly. The military helicopter was still hovering over the battlefield like a painful distraction. I maintained my face of determination; to stop the enemy that was infiltrating and destroying our beloved planet, but deep, deep down, I still felt the fear swirling around and around inside me. We were hopelessly outnumbered. It would take a miracle to stop this nuclear war…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!