It

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

I crouch behind the bumpy tree trunk of an oak. My heart thumps erratically, attempting to break free from my rib cage. My ears perk up in alarm as something disturbs the leaves carpeting the ground. Goosebumps prickle up on my skin, either from the cold or fear. Crunching leaves, closer this time confirms I'm indeed being tracked by It. I freeze up, holding my breath and not even daring to bat an eyelash in fear of making a noise. A frigid breeze whistles through the trees and a strand of my loose hair tickles my nose. I try to hold it in but to no avail. I sneeze, loudly. Too loudly.

My hiding place is sure to be given away now. I peek out from behind the tree and unsurprisingly (considering my horrible luck), It turns around at the exact moment. A cold wash of horror overcomes me from head to toe as our eyes meet in a fierce standoff. It smiles predatorily and saunters towards me, emanating cockiness with every step.

My eyes frantically flit around for an escape route. I had thought this was a perfect hiding spot, but now I'm seriously regretting my choice. There is only one path to freedom, the very same path that It was blocking. Running that way would be suicidal but taking in account of the current situation I was in, it wasn't like I had much a choice.

Confusion strikes It's face as I charge out from behind the tree. I feign to It's right and It leaps towards me to intercept. However, I careen to the left at the last second and It's hands misses me by a hairs width. Feet pounding against the dirt, I burst through the thicket to freedom.

Sticks whip my face and snag against my clothes as if they had orders by It to stop me. My legs scream in protest of the sudden amount of movement I was subjecting it to but I don't dare to slow down. I know what horrible fate will be install for me if It touches me, I've witnessed it happening to the others. Adrenaline pumps through my veins and gives me a short burst of energy. My ears strain for any sound of the heavy footsteps pursuing me but all I get in response is the squawking of the native birds.

With the imminent danger gone, I stagger over to a park bench for a much needed time-out. Even though my throat burns with a lack of oxygen, I'm smiling smugly and reveling in the satisfaction of escaping It.

But my ears have betrayed me. Too quick for any of my senses to register, a hand appears from nowhere and latches onto my jumper like a blood-thirsty parasite.

"Tag, you're It," Alex cackles before darting away.
I sigh, defeated and give him a ten second head start. Not for long, I smirk deviously, not for long.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!