Olive

Memories are powerful things. Sometimes they make you laugh and smile and others you want to forget. But you can't. It is embedded into you, like a scar from the past that nothing can cover. Well, this is mine.

Run, rip, tear, destroy. Not that hard. I run with the roar of the guns in my ears doing exactly that. As I run I think of Olive, standing there in her nursing uniform wiping the blood from men in agony, a suffering that not even chloroform can cure. I raise my gun and fire at the men in the trenches, each bullet I fire is for Olive, who is suffering more than these men.

I see Johnny fall beside me, crying out in pain. I wish I could stop and help him but then I will die myself. I cannot risk it. Sergeant Cole has us stop in a ditch. I look at the dirt beneath me. Every crease tells a story, like the wound in my arm tells mine.

A grenade comes hurtling through the air and lands in the center of the ditch. Everyone is dead. I am the only survivor. I just stay there with them, I know they're dead but I can't leave them they're my mates. I can't go. Not now.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!