Re-Building Humanity

I sit here in my observatory, insulated in my hidden island with a sense of awareness and defiance against the human race. Never be to shunned, humiliated again in the scientific community for outrageous ideas about asteroids and space travel. As I read the applications, a sense of smugness is building up but I also feel sorry for the people I leave behind. But I have no time for regrets, no time for what ifs.
I know Utopia is untenable, my goal is only survival. I have responsibilities you know, I have the ‘hypolopos’ to look after, my one foot high energetic friends, they are my inheritance from Professor Pax. I remember him quite fondly. I remember how his voice would silence the room, how his few red hairs would shine through the greys. His only family was me!
Professor Pax was my mentor, he taught me all I know, he taught me about science, about planet engineering, life support systems and his secret, the Hypolopos. The universe is not lifeless, it is made of dark matter and dark energy, and of course species yet to be discovered.
But back to the task at hand, the applications are relentless. I have to look at everyone carefully as I need the best of the best, the greatest minds of the world. My community will need doctors, scientists, farmers, builders, nurturers, controllers and nurses. Not to mention, equal numbers of men and women. I mustn’t forget the children. And how will I ever break up families, bonds between people that are more powerful than life its self. I sit here silently thinking.
I hear the purposeful and perfectly evened footsteps of Hypolopo 18 entering. In an urgent squeaky voice he states “All DNA samples have been analysed and are ready for the injection phase.”
“Are there any risks?” I ask.
“It depends on which applicants are successful but we can talk about that later, I strongly suggest you make your selections.” Hypolopo 18 walks out.
My mind is in turmoil, arguing with itself as daylight ends. I sit at my desk, make the final selections and give the order for Hypolopo 18 to arrange delivery of the pills. Hypolopos 2, 12, 23 and 50 will make contact with each applicant. My worrying continues throughout the night.
I wake up in a daze, hearing Hypolopo 18 saying “The first applicant has arrived and she is in quite a state.” I don’t rush. I collect my thoughts, unaware of the chaos that is brewing like a volatile volcano about to erupt. I think to myself natural selection is anything but random especially on this ship.
I make my way to the ship's lobby and find 150 people waiting in a panic. I also find a surprise, something that causes me to panic. “Oh My God! What have I done?” I silently think, trying to keep my fear hidden away.
You can’t help but notice them as they look so different from the rest..........
THE END

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!