Of Things Unknown But Longed For Still

Affection was always an afterthought with my mother. Her nursing background saw to that; impertinence was an attitude she detested. It was an attitude I befriended. I was surprised, therefore, to find her in my kitchen. “You should see to that door someday.” Her greeting held irony, a familiar friend, “I was told to give this to you, and that your grandmother left it behind.” In her hand she held a tattered book, dog-eared from love. The gilded lettering now dull with age. “Give her my thanks, would you?” I offered no farewell, she expected no emotion. The screen door clattered shut, the lock thumped against the doorframe.
I put the book on the table, it stood out. Glaringly obvious. I don’t know why, but I felt as if I were being left a message. Something my grandmother would expect of me. I sighed in exasperation; the gilding winked slyly in the sunlight. I questioned my grandmother, argued my mother, I cursed myself.
Hesitantly I opened the book, cringing with every crackle of the dried out spine. The title was simple, “Clarington Book of Recipes”. The orphanage of my grandmother’s upbringing. I flicked onwards, grandmother’s youthful hand writing over the recipes. No page was left unturned: she had adapted every recipe. I recognised many from my escapades to grandmother’s house; the nights when I couldn’t stand my own mother.
The back page was left blank; excepting a lone sentence, hidden on the bottom margin. “Every journey begins with a step, every recipe with love.” I wondered where she had gone wrong with her daughter…or perhaps, where had the daughter gone wrong with the mother?
I sat in silence; the traffic of noise did not enter my head. Only the left grandmother left behind penetrated my thoughts. I thumbed through the pages one last time, noting as I did so pencilled stars in the corners of recipes I had tried. The recipes that had seen me cry, laugh, cheer or reject those around me. One page fifty-seven, her elegant writing flowed into two words: “Marissa’s Childhood”. I pondered on the meaning of scones encompassing my mother’s childhood. I read the note shad placed on the back page.
I found what I needed and read the recipe over. With a breath of anticipation I began. When the scones were in the oven I washed my hands and picked up the phone. She answered on the third ring. “Hello?” Her voice was sharp. “Mother, I was wondering if you’d like to come for tea this afternoon. I made scones.” She waited fourteen seconds before replying. “Perhaps, have you cream ready?” I laughed in nervous relief. “Of course.” Affection was never an afterthought with my grandmother.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!