Faded Memories

As I lay in my bed shivering, I heard the sound of the pine trees crashing against my arch window. I toss and turn, desperate for warmth to fill my freezing body. After numerous attempts of falling back asleep, I sweep a stray of my long, amber hair behind my ear and gaze out the window to see falling snowflakes dancing outside in the moon-lit night sky. My piercing blue eyes glanced outside, settling on the massive barn where my father kept our family horses across the field. Climbing out of my bitter bed, I plodded downstairs, throwing my hair up into a bun, before grabbing my windcheater off the coat rack near our rickety front door. I yanked on my muddy paddock boots before slipping outside into the fresh and chilly Tassie air. Making my way down the smooth and slippery track, I looked around at the dewy, mossy grass, swaying in the moon-lit night sky. Standing in front of the red, stone barn, I slid open the jarred barn door and stepped inside. Snuggling into my red and white flannel, I stumbled down the wooden aisle and made my way down towards the back of the barn.
“Phoenix, are you awake?” I muttered, peering into the stall. Phoenix is my 14 HH, American Quarter Horse, and I love him to death. Grabbing Phoenix’s Irish green lead rope, I clipped it onto his D-ring, and lead him out into the open June air. Father told me I shouldn’t ever ride out into weather like this, especially without a saddle, but I gathered up the leather reins and swung my legs over Phoenix’s back without a second thought.
After a couple minutes of plodding along the muddy side tracks, I finally noticed that the weather had changed drastically and large snowflakes were falling rapidly. I shifted in my seat, dismounting, and looping Phoenix’s reins through my arm. Looking around the charming clearing, I took a moment to rest. Hearing something rustle in the leaves, I shot around, and scanned the area, snowflakes were now heavily falling and it looked like a blizzard might hit. When I had realized nothing was there, I huddled against Phoenix, hugging him before picking up the reins and flopping myself onto his back.
“Bang!” I jolted, just in time to catch a glimpse of a large truck backfiring in the next field. Bolting off, Phoenix threw me, making me stumble off into a water filled creek, slamming my head on a sharp rock. Drowning in and out of consciousness, I managed to keep my head afloat and my heart pounding. Grasping another sharp and slimy rock, I flailed around, slipping back into the creek, that’s when my surroundings went black.
I could hear whispers and mutters around me, but whenever I tried to communicate with the voices, nothing came out. It felt like I was stuck in a fantasy world and I couldn’t escape. Tensing, I felt something grasp my hand, my eyes fluttering open, I cursed in shock, gripping the sheets below me.
“Who, who are you?” I stuttered, I couldn’t remember anything or anyone. The people around me stared in horror.
I couldn’t even remember the dreadful accident that nearly ended my life.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!