He Was Alone

"I am alone" I hear him utter through the bulky ebony door that protects the entrance to my fathers study. I push it open, creaking and wheezing as doors do. He's sitting there in his brand new office chair, peering out the window into the loneliness of the night.
"Father, is everything alright?" I stand in my elephant PJ's, clutching teddy tight, in the middle of the study room. It's gloomy in here, much less like when daddy has his business men over.
"No son, please, sit by me and I'll tell you" my dad pats his lap sobbing like I would if I was left in the mall by myself. I obey and quickly scurry over and perch myself upon his lap.
"Son, you're 8 now and you deserve to know these things" the tears fall heaver then they did when I first entered the desolate room.
"What things father?" He wraps his arms around me, holding me tight like a constrictor holds it's prey.
"Well you know dad's friend, Todd?" His sobs got in the way of his speech.
"The one that mummy is always out with?" I say.
"Yes, that one. You see Tommy, he likes mummy a lot, kinda like daddy does but mummy likes Todd more then Daddy so she decided to leave with him" he lays his head upon mine. I feel the despair trickle down his face to mine with every new tear drop that formed.
"Father, what can I do to help you?" I ask as tears form in my eyes also. He turns me around swiftly so I'm facing his distraught face. I didn't know the man I was peering at. He wasn't like my dad at all.
"Son" he grasps my shoulders and squeezes firmly. "Get out of this room and don't come back in for any reason. Don't look back, never ever come back in no matter what you hear." He hugs me one last time before lifting me off his knee and pushes me towards the door. "Go, leave! Head straight to your room!" He roars at me. Frightfully, I turn away from him and run, dropping teddy as I slam the heavy door behind me. I'm wailing by the time I reach my bedroom. I drop onto my bed face down Into my pillow. Gasping for air as my tears continue to flow freely.
Bang!
I raise my head and look around as the ungodly sound echoes throughout the house like a howling siren before a bomb raid. I slowly rise out of my slumped position and make my way out to the hall in time to see Jill, our Maid rush into dad's study followed by a harrowing scream, a scream I will always remember. I walked up to the door, tears still streaming down my face and I peer through the slight opening in the door I close my eyes and remember what my father told me. I step back, turn and walk back down the hallway that now seemed like the eerie entrance to a new and prosperous life.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!