Eggs Must Be Broken To Make An Omlette

Humans have chewed up the earth. We have crushed forest to build our largest cities. We have poisoned the seas and oceans with our own waste and oil spills, which have destroyed beautiful corals reefs and animals homes. We have nearly destroyed our atmosphere with our car exhaust fumes and toxic gases from factories all over the world making ‘essential’ items to everyday living.
We are slowly making our home inhabitable for any kind of human or animal life. We say that we are trying to save it by lessening the burning of coal and using other sources for electricity but really as our technology advances more we are distracted by it like a child with a shiny new toy and we forget about our dying planet and continue our way of destroying it.
But what if, when every human in the world was either at work or at school or even if they are at their home asleep, they all just fell into the deepest sleep. Whether they were standing or sitting, working or learning, a wave of drowsiness too powerful to resist swept over them, making everyone collapse into comas. If they slept deeply enough, they would not sense a low rumble from far deep beneath the ground on which they lay on. Then, the ground would begin to gently shake, like a small earth quake, slowly becoming louder and more violent tremors; although no one woke up from their deep sleeps. As the grumbling of the earth grew louder, every human-made structure began to shake. From the tallest buildings, to the smallest farm shacks.
When the rumbling grew to its loudest, all the buildings caved in on themselves. The sound of shattering glass would fill the air like a million high pitched parrots screeching all at once. The collapsing of the concrete structures of the buildings would make a sound like boulders crashing into each other until all that is visible are mountains of cracked concrete and plasters.
The ground would continue to grumble; though less violently and then the mountains of smashed buildings would begin to twitch as though there was something alive beneath them trying to get out from under them. Greenery would suddenly spring forth from beneath the rumble and plants would rise from the ground; growing taller and taller by the seconds bringing soil with them that buried the remains of the cities. The saplings would keep growing and growing; until they reached the height of the forest that was destroyed to make way for the cities and towns.
Once all the plants had finished growing, the forest would be still. The plants would filter the air. Then the rare and almost extinct animals would start to appear more with no humans to destroy their habitats. The animals that had been hunted to extinction would make their appearances as well; from the Tasmanian tiger to the Dodo bird.
The seas and oceans would slowly become cleaner as every peice of human waste and rubbish be buried, never to resurface. the corals reefs would slowly regrow and repair. Mere days after beginning, the Earths surface looked as though no human had lived there at all.
Evolution had seen what creating humans on the earth. How we nearly destroyed it. From the day of that change onwards, no human ever walked on the Earth again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!