Saving Sophia

Saving Sophia

My life was the same as other children, but now it’s not.
Last year, I was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
It meant nothing to me but I knew by the way my parents were crying it was probably something I’d have to worry about. It’s certainly given me lots to worry about.
I’ve been having chemo for a year now. Some days have been nightmares – my hair fell out and then it grow back and was itchy, I was exhausted but I couldn’t sleep, my legs swelled and grew numb so I had trouble walking.
I’ve had nights of no sleep, excruciating pain and loneliness.
The hospital room’s full of bright colors, but bright as they are, I feel like I’m fading away.
I’ve always assumed I would have time to do the things I wanted, but it hasn’t turned out as I planned. I love to read but find I’m too sick to do it now.
Even though I love having school in the hospital but I miss my days and experiences at school that I used to enjoy. Playing outside, doing projects and working on all my subjects.
I like the computer games here but I miss playing my favorite games like basketball and many other games. I won many medals from different games. There’s no way I would be able to play with them at the moment. I hope in the future I will be back as my old bouncy self.
But it’s not all bad……………..
I’ve been given flowers, I’m not allowed them in the hospital but mum always brings me pictures of all my beautiful flowers that she is looking after at home. I can’t believe how kind everyone is to me. I’ve been spoilt with things from granny and relatives.
I love the days that my sister comes and sits with me spending endless time here that she never used to spend with me. We play games; she brings me chocolates and sweets and reads me books. She always comes with a bright face, beautiful clothing and makes me very happy. I’m always chuffed to see her.

I love how so many of my friends and cousins come and visit me and cheer me up. Their cheerful faces make me very pleased. They bring me great joy and happiness.

I love how Mum brings in new clothes and fills me in on the latest news every time she is in. Her stories bring me joy and her happy laugh brings me pleasure here in hospital as I go through my rough stages.

And there are still plenty of rough stages to come because they’ve found no cure. I know people are working on it but for me it’s a matter of time.

It’s only spread more.
I feel like this disease is eating me.
I hope that everyone will pitch in and help to find a cure while there is still some of me left.
I’m sure I’ll soon see brighter days.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!